Thread: My snake died
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #10
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimbabe
I wanted to mention also that the snake was fine before I put him in the box. He was slithering all over his viv all last night and all day, which is why I thought he would be ready to eat. And he has eaten before, just not for me. But when I got him from Petco they said he had been eating just fine. Is it possible that he overheated? Can that happen in that short a period of time? I did have the box directly over the heat pad...but the pad is under the glass and I have 2 pieces of felt stuck over the glass, plus the cardboard that was in between the snake and heat as well! I'm just so confused as to what happened.
You really shouldn't put it directly over the hot spot IF it is over 82-84F...and I wouldn't even leave it at those temps for long. Not saying anything is your fault (all living things die!), but check those temps and make sure about it next time. Either way, I am sorry to hear about the little guys demise.

As a warning to everyone, this is a time of year when lots of people start having trouble with young snakes. There houses are starting to get cooler at night, and temps are dropping in many cages without them knowing it. It is wise for everyone to have some max-min thermometers in their cages so they KNOW the exact temps over an entire day's cycle. Most people will learn a lot they didn't know about the temps their snakes are experiencing! The other time lots of people start having trouble is in the spring when they first start running their AC units again....because cages can ALSO have unknown drops - usually in the evenings or at night! A max-min thermometer is very valuable!

Again, this may have nothing to do with you - it's a warning to all beginners! I get emails almost daily this time of year with people having these types of issues!
KJ