View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #12
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
There is a wide variation in the wild corn snakes found in my area. Cape Coral, Pine Island, Charlotte County, even as far as the Keys seem to have some really fine corn snakes. I have not found a live specimen of a caramel, but have found a road kill that resembled a caramel. In 2015 I was recovering from bypass surgery and was walking with my wife for exercise just a block from our home. I spotted what I thought was a Butter going into the brush and palms. I got closer and saw that it appeared to be an Amber, and I would have caught it, but my wife reminded me that tearing my stitches loose while chasing a snake through the brush was insane. I already had an Amber male, and thought if the wild one was a female, it would be worth trying the mating. I have been searching for that corn ever since. I have seen hypos in my area, so will be on the lookout for wild caramels.
Interesting. I have been surprised that Caramels haven't shown up in the wild, since I believe it would be a positive survival trait, much like Anerythrism seems to have been for the corn snake.

One of the prettiest corn snakes I have ever seen in the wild was a DOR on Pine Island. Very brilliant red dorsal blotches on a bright silver background. I looked HARD in that area when I could, and never found another corn snake there at all. But with all the palm tree farms on the island, seems to me it would be an excellent habitat for corns.