• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can anyone ID this?

admitchell08

Read Katy Manula
I saw this guy on the side of the road when I was driving home from the movies not too long ago.
Even though I live in the Texas Panhandle where there are wild herps gallore, I've never stumbled upon a snake. So, I turned the car around, parked on an adjacent road and walked to find this guy. Obviously he was dead (unless he was faking it?), but there were no visible injuries or defects at all to him. He was just laying there lifeless. Of course I didn't have my DSLR with me so I had to use my cell phone to take a picture, so obviously the quality is not that great.
Anyways, this was a pretty exciting experience for me. I've always wanted to go road cruising, but I would have absolutely no idea what I was doing. So I'm probably gonna do a little research on it to find out the ideal conditions to be able to succeed in this. Does anyone have any reading material (preferably a website) that they can suggest?
Oh yeah...I got so wrapped up in my rambling that I almost forgot about the picture. Can anyone ID it just from this cruddy cell phone picture?

Thanks in advance!
:cheers:

Edit: And just an FYI -- Yes, I am extremely inexperienced and ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff. So if this is a stupid question and it is completely obvious what this snake is, I'm sorry! I'm learning!

Attachments

• snake2.jpg
    snake2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Yep, bull snake. Pituophis are one of the best species around in my opinion! :)

Too bad he/she was hit....

I used to do it as a teen in the late 1970's, and with my college professors in the early 1980's---night driving. Loved it.
Sunset to midnight in Spring/Fall...road warms them up to hunt, when environment still a little cool.
Sundown to sunup in Summer...summers are so hot, besides the normally nocturnal snakes, the borderline nocturnal ones only come out at night time, too.
Look for what would be prime snake habitat (for target captures). Country roads less travelled. You'll like bagging live ones better than dead ones.
Take a buddy or girlfriend, and be careful. Chasing a fleeing snake in the headlights impairs your vision, too. Don't want any poisonous snakes hanging from your arms and legs.
RavenSpirit360 and Tyflier do it a lot. They might have better suggestions for desert or arid type environs.

Your welcome. I've brought home lots of other things, in this manner, too. LOL.
Tarantulas. Red eft stage of red-spotted newt...and I mean red crayon "red".
A dry spell, followed by some heavy rains...brings all the critters out to celebrate, too.

EDIT : of course, in the hot summer evening....there is nothing like an iced six-pack, just along for the ride, of course. But I'm sure laws are different now than they were 30 years ago. :D ;)

Areas with many transition zones work well too...Places where the environment goes from treed to grassy to orchard to pasture to swamp etc...

Kyle, I forgot to tell him that you, StrangeCargo, and Robbie had lately been very productive. And you and StrangeCargo seemed to do that a lot. I miss being able to do it.

Back