Thread: SITE RULES...
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #47
medusacoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionythicus View Post
They use it towards each other. That's one context. I use several homosexual slang terms around my gay friends, who don't care, but I wouldn't just call someone on the street a "fag". At some point, I think we'll lose the orginal source meaning and it will likely join other once offensive terms in modern use. We're a few generations past the original use of "moron", "idiot" and "retarded", so in a few more generations, yep, I think the N word won't be such a bid deal. Right now, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, nor would I use the word "retarded" towards any one person. I do say "Wii-tard" or "Narutard", as well as moron and idiot, and dumkopf, etc. At point do we decide to burn books rather than accept that we don't have to be threatened by words? Its the same principle to me. I had to grow a thick skin as a kid, I was terribly picked on in junior high, there were some brutal comments made towards me for a physical trait I couldn't help. I knew that the person making the comment was the one who had the problem, not me, but it still hurt like hell. Its the intent, not the word, that stings.
i don't mean anything personal toward you, so please don't think or take it like that.

I have a problem, when a kid decides to use that word, in the context, he used it in. I have a right to be uncomfortable with it. It's not funny, the statement isn't funny and there is no place for it, in a public forum like this.

Now, if you want to go and use words, that others may find offensive, with your friends, then that's your business.

If so much is going to be made about profanity and respect, then there can't be a double standard. If your going to light someone up for saying something, that may be considered profane by some, not all, then derogatory or degrading statements should be prohibited, as well.

I'm sorry, but I can't understand how anyone, whether you are the parent of a speds child or not, can't see how this statement isn't offensive?

Quote:
Internet arguing is like the special Olympics you may win but you are still retarded!
Wayne