View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
tom e
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
The way I show people who ask is this way
First I hold my elbows tight into my sides with my hands in the preying position tight to my chest......Then I move my hands up/down, form the elbow, to represent our jaw moving..... Then I extend my arms right out to represent the 'Other' bone coming into play....Then I move my hands apart and work them like a snake does when it eats....I find that way explains what is happening, and shows nothing is unhinging.....
I won't make any claims to know if you're right or not Mike, but kudos for your explaination. Thats a very effective visualization.

Maybe the Discovery Channel (and the rest) just feel it's more important to get the point accross that they do something fascinating and alien to us with their jaws. Our jaws are fused in the front and connected tightly to the back, unhinged is not too far off from what Mike is describing at the back on the jaw, if it was a human jaw..

I still get cranky about the constriction descriptions I still see where the bones are crushed, or the air is squeezed out.

I've fed live before, and seen mice die in about 8 seconds. Do we really believe mice can't hold their breath 8 seconds?