• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Best captures

I haven't seen any critters out this year! But there were already rattler's out and about, there was a whole headlining new story about one!

Upon looking it up, I think you're correct. Someone had told me that they were sceloporus lizards, but none of the sources I read mentioned much about them living in the southwest. Thank you!

I have been spending a lot of time with the NM Game and Fish Herpetologist, and one of his contractors. The only reason that I knew that lizard off the bat was because we caught one last august and they had me look it up. LOL

Last summer where I lived down in Suffolk, VA we found a couple poor critters in my uncle's pool (saltwater pool). Both of these "rescues" were rinsed well with fresh water and released well away from that dangerous water hole!

101_4578.jpg

101_4577.jpg

101_4527.jpg

101_4528.jpg

Here's Bitey! A terrapin who's in the wrong place, in a newt pond at a local wildlife refuge, where he has been for 5 years at least, gobbling up the wildlife. He has to be removed......so he's going to be caught by the rangers and be rehomed with me! He's overwintered and this is my first view of him this year

Attachments

• 060 (500x333).jpg
    060 (500x333).jpg
    177 KB · Views: 169
I catch these every year and sell them around the country. They are not native to N. America

Attachments

• 2009_10040001.JPG
    2009_10040001.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 161
Here is my first one for this year, a Jacksons Chameleon in Maui! Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures but here he is. He is by far the best reptile I have caught!

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

I haven't been able to contribute to this thread because I've never caught anything really awesome until tonight. This little Eastern Milk was crawling as fast as he could across the gravel path at the gun club. He nibbled on my briefly and then was very mellow. It's only May 3, but he just seems soooo small to have survived since last summer.

024-3.jpg

016-1.jpg

I haven't been able to contribute to this thread because I've never caught anything really awesome until tonight. This little Eastern Milk was crawling as fast as he could across the gravel path at the gun club. He nibbled on my briefly and then was very mellow. It's only May 3, but he just seems soooo small to have survived since last summer.

024-3.jpg

016-1.jpg

wow that little guy is just so darn pretty

Now if I could get him to eat. In his defense I did remove the paper towels and set up his new crib with white Carefresh(to contrast with his colors), light and UTH, so some more adjustment may be needed.

they don't do well in captivity

I know it's not a reptile but I'm sure I won't ever shoot such a cool fly pic :laugh:

Ever wondered what a cross between fly and vampire would look like?

I'd bet it's something like this:

Urophora cardui :D

45amudcb.jpg

btw FYI, these group of flies show a neat defence mechanism!! They play with their wings in order to make the enemy think they are jumping spiders instead of yum yum flies.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/compound-eye/2012/02/23/the-fly-that-banks-on-arachno/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY-15Z6NCsU

doesn't work when I look at them, but it seems to be pretty convincing for the jumping spiders :D

Back