View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
jautumn75
New Rescue, Need Some Advice

Just brought home an adult corn and he's had a rough past. He's probably around 2 years old and lived all but the past 3 weeks of his life in a 10 gallon with no UTH. He was recently rescued and upgraded to a fully loaded 20 long. The guy who rescued him really set up him well with a perfect new home, helped him with stuck shed and started handling him possibly for the first time in this snake's life. I handled him just fine tonight and brought him (and his new setup) to his forever home tonight. He was fine with being handled tonight and even with the little road trip he did great. Held onto my hand for over an hour after we got home before deciding he was ready to go back in his tank.

My concern is this... this snake has struck and latched on to the guy who rescued him. I have corn snake experience, but I'd like some advice on the best way to approach this snake to get him out of his tank without making him feel the need to strike.

I was told he is a tail rattler when awakened too early in the afternoon. He's probably going to go into shed soon so I want to handle him as much as possible until he's blue, but I want to keep giving him positive experiences. My understanding is he's just not happy being picked up but once out of the tank he's been fine.