View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #134
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMong View Post
Mitch, could you please show me entire clutches of several generations of each of those hybrid examples you posted after being bred to more successive normal cornsnakes?

With all due respect, if that cannot be shown and proven, it doesn't mean much of anything that they look extremely similar in my opinion. Those look similar to what I would expect to see anyway, but the fact that they keep that phenotype when constantly outcrossed to normal corns makes NO sense.

~Doug
I'm pretty sure Mitch would if they were actually his animals. Unfortunately that's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Mulks View Post
Tom,

Thank you for posting his quote. This is exactly what I'm talking about; individual opinions. I respect his, but based on the breeding results he shared with us, and my experience as a breeder and a scientist whose dissertation is largely based on heritable character traits, I actually disagree with him and see the cal king as the most probable origin of the trait. His hatchlings are incredible though and I think they reveal a lot to us about how the introgression between two species can play out.
You're welcome. I wished you would have had the courtesy to give Dan his due credit for the photos and data he supplied in the Hypo Super Corn thread, on your post. Maybe I just read the post wrong but it definately sends off the vibe that these findings are based on your experience with breeding these particular animals.

Dan is the only person with first hand knowledge of the breedings and all the data. Imho to discount the one person's opinion with a working knowledge of the breedings is absurd. Sure you may have the education but that doesn't trump hands on experience and his personal observations in my opinion.

Here is one of the things I have a problem with: The theories are based on a select group of photos the breeder has chosen to share. It would be nice to see photo's of the entire clutches. Especially if there are a couple generations involved. We're not talking about a trait, it's about a dominate gene. Wouldn't it be nice to see how many in the clutch are the mutant phenotype and how much they vary?