View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 01:01 AM   #15
Kayota
I started breeding mice in April last year. I have a few dozen right now. I've had nearly 100 at once. I keep them out in my garage and they do fine through the winter, but I have stopped breeding for now because one of them got her babies wet and they froze to death... I figured it wasn't really worth the struggle and I have plenty to breed when it warms up again. I have some frozen to last us through the winter. I started breeding because my corn wouldn't take f/t for a bit and I got sick of buying live every month. I buy big 30# bags of Mazuri breeder diet and they do great on it, some of the older ones are huge! I feed scraps too when we have them, and stale cereal and the like. I keep them in homemade bins (sterilite tub + zip ties + hardware cloth), a couple tanks and 5 or so critter trail type cages. I separate all the males if I have the space to do so as they will fight to the death when they get older. So I feed males off first. I separate pregnant females after having cagemates eat their babies a couple times. I have had good luck with my mice aside from that and I enjoy breeding for different colors to make it more interesting. Let me know if you have any other questions.