• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Should I even ask?

sfaoldguy

I am really not sure if I should even ask this as I am sure to get the response that it really depends on what I want and bla bla bla. Well, here is the question:

What is the best 10X or 12X optical zoom camera on the market for around $400 to $500? Less is ok too. I am going to be using the camera to document various wildlife in the East Texas area and posting it to the web. I would like the option of being able to get some good size, quality prints from the shots if possible. Macro shots are a major thing for me as I want to be able to get those beautiful scale shots as well as flora. Landscape come in second with beautiful horizon shots and tree line shots in my mind. Crisp shots are a must. I don't like softness.

I accept that I will be getting what I pay for, but I do want to get the most for what I pay so am needing the experience you guys have to help.

I have been researching this extensively, but so many reviews are conflicting or the reviewer doesn't want to step on the manufacturers toes so they water their comments down to the point the review is worthless.

This is kind of a what would you buy question.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer,
John

Obviously, some folks are going to defend their cameras with much more gusto, because they either know (or claim to know :D) much more about photography.

I'll just say that I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ5 a while back. It's a 12x optical zoom. I really haven't gotten a chance to get out and really use it, but I've been very happy with what I have seen. Again, I wouldn't even put myself in the amateur photographer category so take my comments for what they're worth.

I'm sure that once I get a chance to get to know the camera and learn how to actually take pictures, other than with the default settings :p, I'll get even better performance from it. It's suggested price is $500, but I got mine online in the $300 range (New, In-Box).
I realize you are hesitant to accept reviews, but here's one that might at least give you the specs and some sample pictures...http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/
(There's a drop-down menu at the top of the page for selecting the other parts of the review...it's kind of hidden...well, at least I didn't see it right away!)

Personally, if I was looking to spend $4-500, I would look to go for something a bit nicer. Like I said, I got mine (plus a big memory card) for ~350 or so and it retails for $500. You should be able to find something with better features/performance that retails for more but still falls within your price range. That's just my opinion :cool:

zwyatt said:
Obviously, some folks are going to defend their cameras with much more gusto, because they either know (or claim to know :D) much more about photography.

I'll just say that I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ5 a while back. It's a 12x optical zoom. I really haven't gotten a chance to get out and really use it, but I've been very happy with what I have seen. Again, I wouldn't even put myself in the amateur photographer category so take my comments for what they're worth.

I'm sure that once I get a chance to get to know the camera and learn how to actually take pictures, other than with the default settings :p, I'll get even better performance from it. It's suggested price is $500, but I got mine online in the $300 range (New, In-Box).
I realize you are hesitant to accept reviews, but here's one that might at least give you the specs and some sample pictures...http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz5/
(There's a drop-down menu at the top of the page for selecting the other parts of the review...it's kind of hidden...well, at least I didn't see it right away!)

Personally, if I was looking to spend $4-500, I would look to go for something a bit nicer. Like I said, I got mine (plus a big memory card) for ~350 or so and it retails for $500. You should be able to find something with better features/performance that retails for more but still falls within your price range. That's just my opinion :cool:
The site you provided was the best source of info I had found so far. I love how he had sample photos and all but he gave lots of cameras really high ratings which left me with a bunch of good cameras to choose from. He seems to love Panasonic also. I was looking at the FZ20.

I hadn't thaught to much about the listed msrp not being the actual price I would most likely pay. Don't know why, but that really didn't pop in mind lol. Thanks for your recommendation and since I will not be purchasing for about another week, I would love to hear from as many as possible.

If you're going to drop $500 on a camera, don't get a point and shoot. Buy yourself an entry level D-SLR like the Nikon D50, the Olympus whatever, or the Canon Digital Rebel.

Joejr14 said:
If you're going to drop $500 on a camera, don't get a point and shoot. Buy yourself an entry level D-SLR like the Nikon D50, the Olympus whatever, or the Canon Digital Rebel.

I seriously considered that but, after doing the research, I think something like the cameras mentioned above or the Sony DSC-H2 ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh2/ ) should fit the bill nicely and save me a couple hundred bucks to boot. I really don't like the fact that it does not have a DC in, but I can pick up a cheap card reader so I won't have to use the usb too much. I also have storage media that would work with this camera so I don't have to add that cost on.

Thanks for the suggestion.
John

Hmmmm, well, I would say that what ever camera you do get, it will teach you what you really want. I started with the Fuji Finepix, and now there is a new one coming out at the end of the month I've been wanting since I read about it. That's the way technology works, just go on any photography forum or discussion board and everyone is looking to upgrade. You can spend weeks researching and asking everyone what they like, but it comes down to what you want. I suggest going to Best Buy or one of the other places to try out the ones on display. Compare weight, (as you'll want to carry it everywhere), type of memory and how much that costs, (at least 1 gig), and since you prefer Macro, check to see how close you can get with autofocus on without any warnings. Good luck :cheers:

to be upfront and honest............i have no clue about cameras but have been looking at the fuji finepix that the capt. was talking about because it is more in my price range ( under $200). but what i have quite a bit of knowledge about is ebay, and if you want to get something cheap then that is the place to go online. now granted there will be some stores that have close-outs or maybe find a garage sale that could possibly have something but to be honest i have bought and sold through e-bay for the last 7+ years and you can find some steals out there (and you can also find some not so good deals). anyway, hope this helps a little bit. if you have any questions, pm me and i will be glad to help. :cheers:

sfaoldguy said:
I seriously considered that but, after doing the research, I think something like the cameras mentioned above or the Sony DSC-H2 ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh2/ ) should fit the bill nicely and save me a couple hundred bucks to boot. I really don't like the fact that it does not have a DC in, but I can pick up a cheap card reader so I won't have to use the usb too much. I also have storage media that would work with this camera so I don't have to add that cost on.

Thanks for the suggestion.
John

:shrugs:

DSLR's are the way to go if you want to expand in the future. I'd suggest taking a look at pictures and comparing them between different models.

CaptBogart said:
I suggest going to Best Buy or one of the other places to try out the ones on display. Compare weight, (as you'll want to carry it everywhere), type of memory and how much that costs, (at least 1 gig), and since you prefer Macro, check to see how close you can get with autofocus on without any warnings. Good luck :cheers:
Done that a few times over the last week or so. I would go check out some models and take the pics etc and then go to reviews and see what they said and then back to the store to answer new questions lol. Every review I read means another trip to test the cameras. :crazy02:

Joejr14 said:
:shrugs:

DSLR's are the way to go if you want to expand in the future. I'd suggest taking a look at pictures and comparing them between different models.
I originally went to buy a $100 camera, then came the "I don't think I will be able to do what I want with the $100 but this $200 could get me some nice macros. Then of course came the "if I am gonna spend $200, I might as well drop a few more bucks for the 12x optical zoom" which is gonna mean $300+ for a decent one.

I have the feeling I will end up dropping over $1000 before I am done lol. I am gonna really try to be good though and not go above what I really need to get the shots I want.

Thanks
John

sfaoldguy said:
I originally went to buy a $100 camera, then came the "I don't think I will be able to do what I want with the $100 but this $200 could get me some nice macros. Then of course came the "if I am gonna spend $200, I might as well drop a few more bucks for the 12x optical zoom" which is gonna mean $300+ for a decent one.

I have the feeling I will end up dropping over $1000 before I am done lol. I am gonna really try to be good though and not go above what I really need to get the shots I want.

Thanks
John

My major issue with P&S cameras is this...

When you press the buttom, the camera finally takes the picture 3 seconds later. That means, at least when shooting snakes, 95% of the picture suck. That's one NICE thing about a DSLR, is that when you press the button, you take the picture. I can see a tongue come flicking out and press the shutter, and capture the tongue.

I'd seriously consider the DSLR route if you really want to take professional photographs. P&S cameras just don't cut it for the most part.

I second [..or third?] the suggestion for a DSLR.

I have a kodak point and shoot that has a 10x optical zoom, and it's wonderful for that. It's easy to use, takes decent pictures, and so forth.

I've worked [..volunteered] as a photographer for a theater group and for a college newspaper. I took so many pictures that would have been AMAZING-- if my camera didn't take the picture so slow.

DSLR's are the way to go. You can use it the same way as a P&S, if you don't want to mess around with the settings when you first get it.. but you will capture SO much more.

But yeah, whatever you do, make sure you can handle the actual camera before you buy it. I read reviews on several cameras, and thought I knew which one sounded best.. and when I held it, I just didn't like the feel of it, hated the buttons and general layout.. so I went with the kodak, which just fit better.

Good luck with the camera shopping-- and let us know what you decide on. :)

I have the canon Digital Rebel, and i love it. I also have a sony Cybershot that I love too. aside from the difference in the MP's, (rebel is 8 and sony is 5), they both take great pictures. For action shots, macros, filters, and all other shots requiring that shutter speed, light level and exposure setting to be changed, the rebel is the way to go. With an SLR, you can get dedicated macro lenses that will allow you to get with in inches of your subject. Granted, you won't be able to take great far away shots with the macro lense, but you are wanting to shoot snakes, which usually means up close.

The Point and shoot camera's are good for the other thing that you want to do, taking pictures of scenery, the sky, sunsets, etc. Things that aren't moving and there fore don't require a fast shutter speed, pictures of objects that you can get good detail on with being 2 to 3 feet away instead of right on top of, etc.

But all in all, it is totally your decision on what you get. And this is what I would suggest. If you are going to be taking pictures of herps, get the SLR for better pictures. If you are not worried about taking closeup shots or speed shots, get the P&S.

cornsnake00 said:
Might want to check the Fuji S5200. 5MP for $230. Just for comparison. I have the S5000 3MP camera. It takes nice pictures but the 5MP should be nicer. Go to your nearest camera shop and explore. It's all about how much you want to spend!

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/pro...x?sku=FJFPS5200
I would love to be able to buy something that inexpensive, but image stabilization is a must for me.
Joejr14 said:
My major issue with P&S cameras is this...

When you press the buttom, the camera finally takes the picture 3 seconds later. That means, at least when shooting snakes, 95% of the picture suck. That's one NICE thing about a DSLR, is that when you press the button, you take the picture. I can see a tongue come flicking out and press the shutter, and capture the tongue.

I'd seriously consider the DSLR route if you really want to take professional photographs. P&S cameras just don't cut it for the most part.
That is a very very good point and that is very important to me. Have you had any experience with how quick cameras like the Sony H2 take shots if you use manual focus. Sorry, I just looked to make sure it had manual focus but haven't looked up how its responsiveness was when using it. The cameras I tested at the store did take a while to get the shot once the button was pressed but I forgot to test with manual focus.
alyndria said:
But yeah, whatever you do, make sure you can handle the actual camera before you buy it. I read reviews on several cameras, and thought I knew which one sounded best.. and when I held it, I just didn't like the feel of it, hated the buttons and general layout.. so I went with the kodak, which just fit better.

Good luck with the camera shopping-- and let us know what you decide on.
Yea, I am 6'3" with hands professional basketball players drool over (huge). Where others love those tiny little cameras, I find them awkward and very hard to handle. I don't mind the extra weight of the larger cameras at all as long as I have some finger room lol.

I will definitely let you guys know what I decide on and will probably have a nice long post with lots of pics from my first time out.
pcar said:
I have the canon Digital Rebel, and i love it.
I played with one of those the other day at Staples and loved it too. It was really easy to use the manual focus and fast. It was very friendly on my hands also. :)

Conclusion:
Speed is important to me. If the manual focus of the H2 or similar p&s doesn't offer quick enough shots, then I will probably step up to a DSLR which will be much easier to handle to boot.

Thanks for all of your excellent comments and you have given me a lot to research and think about. I always do a ton of research and comparing before I make a purchase like this so it will probably be a week before I order. You should have seen how long I researched my last circular saw lol. I hate buying something to have to return it and buy another. Since I am going to purchase online to avoid paying for taxes and shipping is usually free or close to it for items like cameras, I really want to avoid having to return something.

Thanks again for all of the great tips and more are welcome,
John

Joejr14 said:

Using a DSLR has two main features:
- changing the lens is possible
- the small crop factor (compared to the common analog format) allows to work with a small depth-of-field when using small aperatures (I mean small values, 1.8, 2.8)

All the other stuff of speed etc. you mentioned as also provided by middle class prosumer cameras and I am sure, that 95% of the people do not make better photos just because a DSLR is in use. Most people don't even want to set the aperature or time be themselfes - why need manual modus then?

We had the discussion more than once on this board and I still recommend a good prosumer camera, maybe also with built-in image stabilizer, to folks that simply want to have nice photos of their snakes, animals, family and holidays. The people that want to go really deeper into photography will notice by themselfes, that it takes more than investing into a DSLR Body and a 18-55Kit Zoom to have a noticable higher image quality* - it takes lots of time and knowledge about the theory of photographing. (* I mean compared to a middle-class prosumer cam like a Canon S2 or S3 and such things...)
So, don't panic, most of the mid-class prosumer cameras are not a single cent worse than a low-price DSLR, if you can life with a little higher depth-of-field (which can also be a benefit in many situations) and not being able to change the lens - but hey, they already provide 10 and 12x zoom.

If one compares DSLR photos to prosumer cams also think carefully of the lens that was used. If a 180mm Makro was used to make a super-shot of a tiny animal that flies away as soon as you come closer as 40 or 50cm than one must be honest to say, that such a photo will not be possible with a prosumer cam. But one should also notice, that the lens to do that alone is about 700-1000€, plus Body, plus tripod and so on.

As you can see, all I can add is more confusion and more arguments to both "ways" you can choose. Just try to think carefully of what you really need and how much you can live with not haveing "the ultimate camera". Some people won't have the feeling that the can make good photos until they have the most expensive equiment in the world, others, like me, just buy the equipment that is good enough to make the guy behind the came the worst part of the setup. :)

Greetings

I baught the Sony H2 and have been working with it for a week or so now. I do not have a background in photography so this has not been easy, but it has been a blast.

What I like about it:
- It looks sexy. Well, at least I think so. LOL
- The colors seem to be good.
- All focus modes work well.
- Plenty of manual settings for most of the shots I would like to take.
- Fast whenever you focus by pressing the button half way or use manual focus and no flash.
- I am satisfied with the quality of the pics.
- Battery life.

What I don't like:
- Lack of deapth-of-focus which requires a bit of post processing to get the desired effect.
- Proprietary storage media.
- It automatically adjusts some "manual" settings when you adjust another. Like changing the f-stop a tad when I change shutter speed beyond what it likes for that f.
- The LCD tries to give you an idea of what the pic is going to look like once you have taken the shot but it is extremely bad at predicting this. Shots with flash and high shutter speeds come out pretty good in doors, but the LCD shows you an almost black screen before the shot. This makes it very hard with composition of the shot. I have to guess where the subject of the shot is going to be in the scene once I take the shot. This is really my only true gripe about this camera.

Here are some of the shots I have taken while practicing with it. Advice is very welcome.

wshead2.jpg

texashead.jpg

flower2.jpg

DSC00647Medium.jpg

DSC00535Medium.jpg

lines.jpg

dropplets.jpg

bug.jpg

DSC00428Medium.jpg

turtle50percentcrop.jpg

DSC00510Medium.jpg

duckongrass.jpg

This following is a shot with a fast shutter speed and flash. I had to put together an emergeny over flow tank for weanlings. Got it set up correctly now, but set this up kind of spur of the moment.
DSC00352Medium.jpg

Back