Thread: Ebay
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
DollysMom
First, I totally agree that most start their auctions at what they want anyway. The other way they do it is to start low and have a reserve, but you don't see that as much these days. I also hate where they set a low price and then charge outrageous shipping, though some of what I buy is heavy and glass, which justifies higher shipping charges within reason.

In antiques and collectibles there are still a lot of auctions and I pretty much use the same strategy as Rich. Most of what I buy on eBay are glass antiques and I actually like the auctions where when I find something I like at a fair price I can buy now without going through the bidding process. Sometimes what I want is only on auction. Often times I put in a bid just a little over the starting bid and I win. If I don't win, I let it go and keep looking. Most of the time there are no real bargains, but there can be fair prices.

I also only buy things under $100. I figure I can afford to lose that if something is a scam.

As to new merchandise, I limit what I buy there to things I either can't get elsewhere, or can't get elsewhere at as good a price. Even in the china-bay items, many are available elsewhere at better prices. Also why buy anything on eBay used or gray market when often literally for a few dollars more you can get it new with a manufacturers warranty?

My favorite china-bay item is the aquarium thermometers on suction cups with probes that I use for my snakes. I'll usually buy them ahead of time in bulk and get them for less than $2 each including shipping as opposed to over $5 apiece through any other source I've found.

I'm still skeptical of some of the other china-bay reptile products, not knowing that the materials they are made from are necessarily safe. I will pay more for brand names from reputable sources that I know have to stand behind their product's safety like ExoTerra, ZooMed, Zilla and Flukers to name a few.