View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
Joejr14
Feeding Frequency Correlation?

Well yes, I know that feeding frequency is related to size, but that's not really what I'm talking about here. It is, but it isn't.

I've talked to Dean about this, and I really believe that there is most definitely a correlation about how much food a snake gets in it's first few months of life is directly related with how fast a snake grows. I've noticed this in my collection, and Dean has in his.

Case in point is my keeper bloodred male. He's 65 grams right now chowing on small hoppers, and was hatched out August 1st. I had a female pewter from Rich that I got in I believe Jan of 2006 at 20 grams or so. That snake is currently at 120 grams or so eating weaned mice. I have no doubt that my holdback bloodred will be at 120 grams in 2 months, which will be the 10 months mark or so. The pewter is at the 120 gram mark at the 18-20 month mark. I know without a doubt she'll be big enough to breed in 2008, but I see a correlation without a doubt.

So, my opinion is that when you get a snake (normally from a big breeder) that has been on a maintenance diet it takes much longer for that snake to get up to weight than a snake you got immediately upon hatching and were not cheap with your feedings.

I know personally I have passed up more than a few 06 snakes in the past few weeks because of size. Bayou Reptiles had some lav stripes up for sale, but they were just too small for my liking, especially with knowing what a challenge it can be for those snakes to take off. So I certainly know that when snakes start hatching out this year I'll be getting what I want as soon as the breeder is willing to sell them.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?