View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
And for the other can of worms... what exactly is the benefit of having a faster growth rate?
I wonder about this, too. What other animal is there where it is beneficial to the animal to have a faster than normal growth rate? They grow up horses faster than normal so they can be raced. They grow up dogs faster than normal because the bigger ones do better at shows. It seems to me that bigger/faster animal growth is really only beneficial to the humans that want something from them. (Not criticizing anyone- )

I just got an 08/05 cornsnake that is half the size I'd expect her to be if she was a 2006. I have her feeding records from the previous owner- (not the breeder) and she's a good eater on a five day schedule who hasn't missed a meal. What on earth was she being fed at the breeder's where she spent most of her life? Do you guys that feed normally ever have babies that stay so tiny- or was she just not fed enough?? Other than size, she's healthy and strong and lively and shed twice in the two months the previous owner had her- I believe she's going to start catching up now.

Nanci