• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How often do you handle your corn snake?

sindragosa

Hi everyone! First time corn snake owner, I adopted a 5 year old 5 foot long male and love him to bits!

I might love him a little too much, though. I got him a week ago and have consistently taken him out of his tank in hopes that he'll get used to my scent and associate it with being friendly. However, yesterday he wrapped his tail around his hide, so I left him alone, and today he slithered away into his hide completely. I don't bother him when he does this and he isn't acting aggressive at all, but it makes me think I'm overhandling him.

So I googled for a place that might give me advice and wound up here. I'd like to know how often everyone handles their corns so that I can both enjoy my snake and lower the chance of stressing him out. Thanks!

Welcome!
All corns are a little different when it comes to how comfortable they are about being handled. At 5 years of age, he's probably set in his ways meaning he is not going to change much.
Most hatchling are usually nervous about being held but learn later that your not a threat. As they get older, most tolerate it. Others move around like they are not comfortable and a small percentage plain hate it and let you know.
My suggestion is if you sense he is nervous hold for a minute or two then put him down.
Don't try to handle we when in a shed cycle or just fed.
Good luck and enjoy.

Welcome!
All corns are a little different when it comes to how comfortable they are about being handled. At 5 years of age, he's probably set in his ways meaning he is not going to change much.
Most hatchling are usually nervous about being held but learn later that your not a threat. As they get older, most tolerate it. Others move around like they are not comfortable and a small percentage plain hate it and let you know.
My suggestion is if you sense he is nervous hold for a minute or two then put him down.
Don't try to handle we when in a shed cycle or just fed.
Good luck and enjoy.

Thank you for the response! The times I've handled him have been fine so far, he slithers a bit, curiously sniffing me and my computer area where I usually hold him, and he settles down easily most of the time, laying against my arm or my neck.

But I'll absolutely keep your suggestions in mind on gauging how to handle him going forward!

my snake is a pet. To me it's no different than a dog or cat. I handle him daily. I take him places with me. He's a part of the family. The only exceptions are right after eating, I usually give him a day or 2 to rest, and also for a day or 2 after he sheds.

my snake is a pet. To me it's no different than a dog or cat. I handle him daily. I take him places with me. He's a part of the family. The only exceptions are right after eating, I usually give him a day or 2 to rest, and also for a day or 2 after he sheds.

This is ultimately what I'd like to get my corn into the habit of, being handled daily. It actually turns out I was worrying for nothing, his recent moodiness was because he was starting to shed and I didn't know he was so close to shedding after adopting him.

He's since had a clean shed and is back to being his active self who likes being handled every so often.

Aside from 15-24 hours after feeding, I handle mine whenever I want. No other rules apply for me. They may go a week without handling, or may get handled every day for a week. It depends on my schedule and desire to interact on any given day.

I'm wondering how many people might be carrying their goldfishes with them everywhere. Or even how the keepers of cobras have tamed them to not bite when touched... Big python out for a walk anyone?

Long, short story: Snakes are no pets, they don't like to cuddle like a dog or cat does (and honestly even a cat can be cuddled whenever the humans want - they will show it with their claws pretty soon).

Mine are in their vivariums where I can watch them. Like I would do with an aquarium. And that's where they stay all the time - except for feeding, when I have to put one of them into a box.

I always feed in the enclosure. Have for 40 years. And I love getting them out to hold

That’s why I would never own venomous. If I can’t hold it, I don’t want to keep it.

I re-read your post, Seriva. Sounds like you only have a problem feeder. That is different and I get that. Not trying to start an argument.

Working in a high traffic pet store for a few years has cured me of my need to hold every animal lol. I do enjoy occasionally getting my snakes out, but they really don't get very much interaction overall outside of me putting them in a bucket while I clean their cage.

That’s one of the great things about these animals. Hold them daily or not at all. They couldn’t care less either way. Such easy animals to care for.

Congo comes out, and I handle him, at least twice a week. He enjoys it. In good weather he goes out on the lawn. In his tank he will often rear up for me to take him out, since he knows it's either an interesting outing, or dinner day.
He's a fine entertainer too. He doesn't mind if my friend's grandkids hold him. Though if there is a group of people and he has some freedom of movement, he will gravitate back to me. So a corn can recognize "their person", and can understand that he or she is the source of benefits :) (Congo is a little mentally sharper in this respect than was my ex).

Back