View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 03:33 AM   #22
Rich Z
Interestingly enough, I caught a female corn at the old abandoned cement facility that used to be at the Murdock intersection of 776 and 41 that turned out to be carrying the gene for Lavender. Actually called it "Mocha" at first because the babies tended to be a light chocolate colored at hatching. Again, never heard of a wild caught Lavender turning up in that area. Looking at a Google map, looks like there is a Denny's right where that cement place used to be located. 776 used to dead end right there at 41.

When I produced all normals from breeding her to a snow corn on the first generation, I only kept a single pair, if I remember correctly. First year breeding them together, all eggs but one went bad. That one egg hatched and was the very first Lavender produced. I believe the female died eggbound, and remember thinking that I was pretty much stuck in having any chance of producing another one if that one Lavender had died. But evidently those normal het carriers I sold off did produce Lavender for at least one other person (Dan Thomasco?) in Pennsylvania where they had eventually turned up one way or another.

Kind of interesting how HUGELY luck can play into new genes turning up.