• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

can i feed my snake fish?

aintlikeitl00ks

i was thinkin since i live in the keys i can feed my snake live sardines in a little bowl in his tank... will he eat it?, does salt water harm the snake?

corn snakes do not eat fish, crickets, etc.
rodents only, please

also this question doesn't belong in the photo gallery

Yes I do agree with Iria that this subject shouldnt be in this section of the forum... but I dont agree with corns not eating fish... I know for a fact that they do... well at least I think they do... I use to feed my wild caught garter snakes little feeder goldfish... and they use to gobble them up... Im not sure abuot the nutrion that will come out of fish... but I would highly suggest that you stay with small mammels... if you think that food is expensive then order some f/t over the internet... you can get pinkys for about 18cents at RodentPro.com!!!

of course

Your garters ate fish. Most all garters eat fish as part of the diet. And most garters in captivity are fed fish. But cornsnakes are not nearly the same thing as Garter Snakes. :) :)

Mice is all the need, and all they really should be eating. Other food items can cause issues.

bmm

Bmm thanks for clearing that up... I havent even thought about feeding my corns fish... but now that I know I def! will not think about it!!! :D...

heheeh

Do you keep Garters anymore???

I have never really liked them but so many people keep them their must be a reason!

bmm

Hey,
Iris and Jr, I am looking at the top of this thread and it says Husbandry and basic care so I think that it is ok that this question is in this section.
As for Corns eating fish. I have often thought about this. I think in the wild they are oppertunistic (spell) feeders. I know that they eat lizards,rodents and even small birds. I have even seen a documentory where one was stalking a bat. So who knows. Why not fish or tadpoles.
Is there anyone out there that has studied Corns in the wild? Maybe you can shed some light on this matter.
Jimmy C.

Oh yeah- Aintlikeitlooks,
I wouldn't go with sardines if we find out that they do eat fish. I would try feeder fish from a pet store.
To be safe stick with rodents.
Jimmy C.

No where have I seen written that fish is an acceptable food for a corn. Older corns feed almost exclusivly on rodents and birds etc and the ocassional lizard. I've never heard fish mentioned so I wouldn't recommend even trying.

Jimmy C. said:
Hey,
Iris and Jr, I am looking at the top of this thread and it says Husbandry and basic care so I think that it is ok that this question is in this section.
As for Corns eating fish. I have often thought about this. I think in the wild they are oppertunistic (spell) feeders. I know that they eat lizards,rodents and even small birds. I have even seen a documentory where one was stalking a bat. So who knows. Why not fish or tadpoles.
Is there anyone out there that has studied Corns in the wild? Maybe you can shed some light on this matter.
Jimmy C.

Jimmy, this question was originally posted in the Photo Gallery, but it has since been moved here.
I doubt a corn would eat goldfish or the sort voluntarily, but I don't think salty sardines are a good idea at all.

I assume you mean chicken eggs? Not a good idea.
The mice should be a little wider than your corn is thick at his middle, but not more than double the snake's thickness.

Sushi not good for your corn...

I kept garters for many years and never even fed them fish. As they got larger, they ate extra large nightcrawlers. Everything I have read about feeding fish recommends not using "feeder" goldfish because of the potential for parasite and bacteria exposure. I have some friends who feed their western hognose bits of fish sometimes but it's always farm raised trout... pretty funny!

Eggs would also not be a good choice as corns lack the rib bone appendage to crush the shells.

When I was a kid, I kept a lot of locally caught snakes and fed them whatever I found that were listed as proper prey items for them. For instance, with my kings, I fed them lizards, baby birds, mice... anything that I could catch. Now, you will get a lot of arguement from the herp community because keeping pet snakes is a lot more sophisticated now than it was "back then". Also, feeding wild food will expose your snake to parasites and bacteria. Now, these things are things that your snake probably has already been exposed to, having been removed from the wild. The difference is that in the wild, the snake is not in a confined situation and it's body is better able to deal with these parasites and bacteria. In captivity your snake may have a plush place to live and won't have to hunt to find food, but it does have to contend with types of stress that, in the wild, it would never encounter. Also, living in a small enclosure concentrates any bacteria to the point where they can and often do pose a threat to the snake's survival. So... now that I have told you all that... I will tell you that if you can afford to, it would be best for you to take the snake's poo to the vet to be checked for parasites and bacteria (something that is always recommended for wild caught animals) and feed it only commercially raised rodents. BUT--- if you do not have access to the means to do this(you know $$$) (as I did not when I was a kid catching and keeping snakes), use common sense. Keep your snake's cage REALLY clean. Don't let any poops stay in it at all. I saw how you fixed it up nice with rocks and stuff but I can tell you, your snake will feel much better if it can bury itself under something. Trade the rocks for paper towels, bark, aspen (at Walmart its only 2 bucks). Easier to clean and will look fine. You can keep the cool skulls and stuff (love the coon skull). If you have to feed it lizards and what not, make sure you don't collect them in places where someone could have sprayed for pests.

Hope that helps. There is a lot of really good information on the internet that will tell you about corn snakes so check it out and keep coming here and, most of all... enjoy that pretty snake!

thanx alot, since i've had my snake (about a week) it alwayz poops on me instead its cage it that bad good or doesnt matter i dontthink he hold it in or any thing i think is just coinsidence.. lol

aintlikeitl00ks said:
thanx alot, since i've had my snake (about a week) it alwayz poops on me instead its cage it that bad good or doesnt matter i dontthink he hold it in or any thing i think is just coinsidence.. lol

It could be that your snake is "musking" on you. It is your snake's natural defense. It makes itself stinky so you, the big bad predator, won't eat him. Corns are not by nature very aggressive and like many colubrid species will use this musking as a primary defense. It might be a good idea to reduce handling the snake to very short periods of time, in a nice quiet room until it has become accustomed to you are understands that you are not going to make dinner out of him!

Also could just be he needs to go LOL!:D

Back