View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
Raven
I had ones like that. A few questions - how old is your snake? Where do you feed him? Do you have background info on him? Is he in shed? Do you have a female snake too?

I have one male that gets particularly excited during the spring. He's normally one of my sweetest snakes but is a bit challenging for a few months. My newest female will launch herself at you snapping while she's in shed (that was a particularly fun experience).

What I found works (for most but not all - just like people and any other animal personalities are individual): make sure you wash your hands with the same soap before handling or going into his tank. Mine do well with a natural scent. This way the scent is always the same. I would definitely take him out before cleaning his tank and never feed in the tank. Use gloves. I like gardening gloves, but I had a bitey python once and needed thick leather ones. Snake hooks are good too. This will give you confidence and his smell will be on the gloves. Go slow but confidently. Sometimes just work with him on just being ok with your hand in the tank. Once he relaxes with you present, leave him alone/put him back/go away.

Hope that helped a bit. There are many ways to work with them and I'm sure someone with more experience may have better solutions.