View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
maausen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
If you do the same thing over and over you can't expect a different result. There's a big difference between a corn that mistakes your fingers for a meal, and one that's scared and assumes a defensive mode. It would seem that yours is being very defensive. I don't like being bitten, and always flinch, even if the bite doesn't draw blood. I'm wondering if there was a traumatic experience in the past that is triggering his response. I'll give you an example. While cleaning my rack containers I left one slightly open while I added water. A male got out and coiled around a heat cable in back of the rack. I tried unwrapping him and pulling him out and he bit me 3 times. Now I had handled him many times before and he was always gentle. Now when I clean his container or change his water he rears up and strikes. I'm sure it's going to take me some time to handle him and gain his confidence that I mean no harm.

If I were you the first thing I would do is feed him in a separate vivarium or container. Then I would buy disposable latex , or similar, gloves and start handling him daily if possible. Don't pull him out of his hide, that's where he feels safe. Only handle him when he's roaming around his vivarium. The gloves will mask your scent and if he bites he will soon learn that it is ineffective and hopefully stop. Repeated gentle handling will hopefully calm him down. Good luck and let us know if you are successful.
Okay I will start feeding in a separate tub. Do you think this is him associating me in his tank being food time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I agree with Twolunger. It takes a ton not to flinch when bitten, even when it doesn't hurt. It's a reflex reaction. One that caused an eel to fly but that's another story. That's why I use gloves with a snake that has questionable/unpredictable behavior. It keeps ME calm and confident which helps the snake relax.

Does your presence by the tank alone make him edgy or just when you are in his tank?
Yes whenever I go near that side of the room he is ready to go at me.