Thread: ??
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 04:14 AM   #9
MysticExotics
As mentioned, snakes bite for a number of reasons, the two primary are hunger and defense. Hunger strikes usually entail holding on, and sometimes the snake "wraps" your hand/arm. I've only received those when the snake misses the rodent I have on the tongs and gets my hand, or if I had been handling a rodent and they smell it.

They can get "cranky" if temps are off, and sometimes they're just cranky in general. Some morphs can be known for being more cranky than others.

Feeding inside/outside of the enclosure is up to you, whichever works best for you. They don't get "cage aggressive", but rather can associate you opening the cage with feeding time, if that is the only time you open the cage.
I feed all of mine in their enclosures, and have no problems.

They're not social like dogs and cats, they are solitary creatures. Regular handling can get them used to being held, but they're ok if you don't handle them often.

I don't handle mine just to handle them, it's usually when I clean enclosures, weighing snakes, etc that I handle mine.

If you don't already, make sure you have a thermostat (not just thermometer) to monitor/control the temps in the enclosure. It is the only/best way to make sure the temps stay consistent, and in a safe range for your snake.