• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Biting Snake

Naagas

Deserae :)
My new snake (I've had her for about a month), Ophelia, bit me last night- twice!
Once on the arm, and once on the face!

I've never been bitten by an adult snake until her, so I thought I would share my experience.
She is grumpy and hasn't settled in yet. Last night was only my third time handling her since I got her. She had a tail injury while in brumation- the tip turned black and fell off. I think this and the total change in environment has gotten her feeling defensive and scared.

I was holding her last night and she was fine for a while- she curled into my hoodie and layed there with her head sticking out. Then I moved- she shot out fast. I grabbed her right before she hit the ground (which is challenging with a long snake!) and she rewarded me with a bite right on the cheek, and another on the arm.

I noticed she bit me on the face, because it is hard to not notice an adult snake launching itself into your face.
However, I only noticed the arm bite because it started to bleed.
The face bite I could feel a little.
I expected an adult's bite to hurt more.

So- I survived and I could barely feel it. I do have a really cool bite mark on my arm though.
If you are worried about getting bitten, don't be. It isn't nearly as bad as being musked or getting pooped on.

I will post pics when I get to a computer, for the curious.

I'm hoping she will calm down with regular handling. I'm trying to exercise her because Im planning on breeding her- but I also don't want to over stress her. If anybody has advice, I welcome it.

I think any snake would respond with a bite if grabbed mid-flight. I wouldn't be particularly worried that she did that. I'd watch out for situations where she could start flailing around, which might set her off into flight mode. I think calm, gentle handling should reassure her that you mean her no harm.

I let my snakes hang out around my neck when I am cleaning out tanks and such but that has always been my fear that one will bite my face and get an eye. I am sure that their tiny teeth could do some damage. So I never allow any of my new snakes to cruise on me or on the floor unattended until I make sure that I know their personality inside and out, before I allow my hands to let go of the snake.

I now know how quickly adult snakes can launch. I will try to keep a good hold on her next time- I'm trying to reduce her stress, not increase it!

Well- holding too tight really stresses nervous snakes, too! I have three that I just can't ever really hang on to- I just have to keep moving my hands. If I clamp down at all they death roll and whip really hard!

Lol! Ok, hold on but not too tightly!

Aother Ophelia! Great name for a snake. I have to admit that she did come pre-named, so I didn't come up with it.

Oh yeah I didn't really mean to "hold on" to the snake. I just only let them slither in between fingers and lower arms instead of my whole body that way I have a little more control over the snake with out the snake really knowing. And that way if you do need to grab because they are trying to flee they don't feel as threatened because you alreay have your hands on them. And really all I was sayin is, that is my biggest fear that is why they are only allowed on my hands until I know them better.

When I was first transferring Balthazar into his repaired viv he shot out and got some snake air. My husband started scrambling around on the counter looking for him, while I play hot potato as the snake sprang from one hand to the other. As soon as he felt my hand close around his body he relaxed. I think he was always grasped and was unnerved by a gentle hand. He is the only snake I'll hand to my oldest son or my nephew and turn away. Some snakes do like a firm hand I guess.

Not suggesting you grab Ophelia to try and tame her that way, I just like like telling this story.

When I was first transferring Balthazar into his repaired viv he shot out and got some snake air. My husband started scrambling around on the counter looking for him, while I play hot potato as the snake sprang from one hand to the other. As soon as he felt my hand close around his body he relaxed. I think he was always grasped and was unnerved by a gentle hand. He is the only snake I'll hand to my oldest son or my nephew and turn away. Some snakes do like a firm hand I guess.

Not suggesting you grab Ophelia to try and tame her that way, I just like like telling this story.

Hmm. Maybe treating her like my other snakes is what is getting me into trouble.

My snakes that I raised from babies are used to the way I act.

I guess me and Ophelia have to get used to each other.

I got bit by an aduly corn (not my own, i was helping photograph her) a few days ago. She got my finger.

I laughed. It didn't hurt, and i didn't notice it bleeding until I smeared it onto my camera. I think it was because i didn't wash my hands well enough after feeding my snake.

I'm kinda glad it happened, it cured my lingering fear of being bitten. Now I've been bitten and feel much braver.

Every snake is different. Ophelia may not have much interaction time with humans, or she had bad experiences. You have far more snakes then I do, I'm sure there is next to nothing I can possibly teach you. Once she's figured you out her reptilian brain will learn your scent is nothing to fear.

I got bit by an aduly corn (not my own, i was helping photograph her) a few days ago. She got my finger.

I laughed. It didn't hurt, and i didn't notice it bleeding until I smeared it onto my camera. I think it was because i didn't wash my hands well enough after feeding my snake.

I'm kinda glad it happened, it cured my lingering fear of being bitten. Now I've been bitten and feel much braver.

Isn't it strange how little you can feel it?
I expected more.

The poor little snakes don't have much of a defense, do they?

Every snake is different. Ophelia may not have much interaction time with humans, or she had bad experiences. You have far more snakes then I do, I'm sure there is next to nothing I can possibly teach you. Once she's figured you out her reptilian brain will learn your scent is nothing to fear.

I'm thinking that she hasn't had lots of one-on-one interaction. Not to mention that she just came out of brumation.

I'm hoping that she decides to tolerate me soon- but even if she doesn't I don't mind too much. She is a beautiful snake and she has a home among my collection.
(There are lots of fancy morphs, but I think that the classics are beautiful!! Not to mention that she is het hypo, lav, and poss het stripe!)

Here are two pics of her in a defensive pose. You can see her cereal box hides off to the side. She seems to like those.
Ophelia-Strike-1.jpg

Ophelia-Strike-2.jpg

Here are some pics of my bite on my arm.
You couldn't even see the bite on my face.

I love how you can see how wide her jaw can open!!
406b2853.jpg

My daughters snake looks exactly like that. We have two corns and hers has bitten me twice now. They are 2 or 3 not sure. We have had them since they were a couple of months. The first time it hit its tail on the tank when I was picking it up to feed it. The second time was yesterday when I picked it up to feed it again. I jumped back but after it bit me I picked it up and it seemed to calm down. How often should I handle them? Will handling them more make them less nervous about being held?

I just worry because my kids are 5 7 and 9 and I don't want them to get bitten and scared of them.
My snake is a pinkish white colour and seems calm.
I feed them once every week - week ½

Thanks for the feedback.

My daughters snake looks exactly like that. We have two corns and hers has bitten me twice now. They are 2 or 3 not sure. We have had them since they were a couple of months. The first time it hit its tail on the tank when I was picking it up to feed it. The second time was yesterday when I picked it up to feed it again. I jumped back but after it bit me I picked it up and it seemed to calm down. How often should I handle them? Will handling them more make them less nervous about being held?

I just worry because my kids are 5 7 and 9 and I don't want them to get bitten and scared of them.
My snake is a pinkish white colour and seems calm.
I feed them once every week - week ½

Thanks for the feedback.

Snakes are a lot more defensive when they are in their tanks.

Once you pick them up, they are a lot less likely to bite.

Yes, regular handling will get them to calm down- It has worked on some of my younger snakes.

Also, you might be surprised at how little your children mind getting bit. As long as you are calm about it, your children may take it calmly.

WOW Look at that attitude. :eats02: She is beautiful though. If you play connect the dots on your arm it would look like Mr Peanut complete with 2 little eyes.

Back