View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
Pumpkin D. Cat
My First Enclosure Build

Greetings, all! I've been obsessed with getting a snake for a few years now, and, after gaining much knowledge, I've decided to move forward, and start planning. My biggest obstacle has been how to keep the snake safe, and keep it from getting out. Pet stores are little help in this area. If they do have reptiles, or reptile cages they aren't focused on snakes. The glass aquarium types look ok, if you can find one with a locking lid. Otherwise it seems all they have are cages designed for lizards, or other reptiles, and their "kits" with things I'm not sure I need for a snake.

I've decided to go with a ¾" melamine enclosure with exterior dimensions of 37 ½" l x 18" d x 13 ½" h
Attachment 193918

One 4' x 8' will almost make two enclosures of this size, and cost less than $20, so if I make a mistake I'll have some backup pieces to work with. I've decided to go with sliding glass that spans the full front of the enclosure, 36" on the inside track. I'll need two pieces of glass to be cut, but that's not a problem. It shouldn't be more than $20 for the glass, up to $60 on the aluminum track for the sliding glass, and another $10 for the lock.

Heating is where I'm still having an issue. I don't know if I should go with heat tape on the inside of the enclosure with a ceramic tile on top of it to avoid direct contact with the snake, or if I should go with a Pro Heat radiant panel attached to the top of the enclosure on one side possibly with a ceramic tile directly under it to absorb more of the heat for the "hot" side that way there is no way the snake could lay on it, and damage itself. Even though Pro Heat says their product cannot harm any animal through direct contact I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Of course I'll be installing vents in each end, some sort of UV lighting, and a thermostat to regulate whatever heat source I end up installing.

If anyone has built something like this, or has any comments, hints, or suggestions I would appreciate any advice.