View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #23
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Heh, yeah the logistics of ensuring documentation is carried along with the animals and the propensity for people to sometimes be dishonest when money is involved is also my reasoning for just sort of admiring hybrids from afar. AND most "true" localities really. It's one thing when it has a recognizeable phenotype, and in some species locality has some discernable meaning, but with corns? Frankly I don't care much where a "Miami" corn's ancestors were captured, as long as it has a sillver background.
Environmental factors play the most part in the phenotypes found in a particular area. In the areas around me you only have to look at the ground cover to imagine the phenotype that you will find. Close to my home there is an abundance of Brazilian Pepper trees that block the sun. Under them is dark soil and you would expect to find anerys well concealed. Just a mile away are tall pine trees and Live Oak trees with rust colored needles and leaves all over the ground. When the sun is shining in the clearings you would barely be able to see a hypo colored corn. Just a few miles away is an area that has limestone exposed under the Live Oak trees. You could expect to find Miami corns in that area. Corns that are not well camouflaged will be hawk food. Albinos would stand out like a sore thumb if moving around during the day.