Thread: Blood Lines
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2002, 07:22 PM   #2
Rich Z
Sorry, but no I won't have those hets available. One reason being is that the project is still too new and in order to get Lavenders het for Motley or Motleys het for Lavender, you pretty much need to have breeding sized adult Lavender Motleys to produce them. Either that or you have to have one parent a het animal bred to the opposite gene carrier, both of which happen to be carrying the other gene. I ran into this same problem with the Butter Motleys. I didn't have any Butter Motley hets available until I had adult Butter Motleys to breed to all of those het animals.

I do have one adult female Lavender Motley, but I bred her to a young Lavender male that is a possible het for Motley to try to find out if he was het or not. I still don't know, because I broke my cardinal rule of breeding multiple males to a female and this one let me down. I should have known better, but sometimes you have to take a chance.

Next season I will have two adult males and another adult female Lavender Motley come on line for breeding. Not sure if I'm going to put all of my eggs in one basket relying on those two males, though. I will likely only breed them to a couple of the het females and wait and see what results I get. Then the following year I will lean on them a bit more heavily. But I do expect I will put 2 or 3 pairs of Lavender Motleys on sale next year. I may offer Butter Stripes as well. I didn't actually offer any of those for sale this year, so the line on my web page is just a teaser.