• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression thread: Cleo the Butter Motley

DollysMom

It never gets old!
Vital statistics:

Breeder/Vendor: Reptiles by Mack
Hatch date: August 28, 2015
Morph: Butter Motley (amel, caramel, motley)
Sex: Female
Purchase Date and place: October 10, 2015 at NARBC Tinley Park
Age at purchase: 6 weeks
Weight at purchase: 14 grams
Name: Cleo (short for Cleopatra, the queen of Egypt)

I first saw Cleo here and it was love at first sight. I handled her and she was totally sweet. The purchase followed very quickly.

uFouBgEl.jpg

After a long ride home in the deli cup I took a moment to get a quick pic.

tK83Fsyl.jpg

Where am I?

x67n88hl.jpg

October 11: A little surprise from miss Cleo the next morning. Didn't have to wait long for the first shed at home!

RoprLOKl.jpg

October 19: First post shed pic after digesting her first meal (October 16) at home. She is sleeping in her favorite cork round and I don't think I woke her. One word to the wise, split your cork round and then set the two halves back together. If it is intact, you will never get your baby snake out for feeding, wellness checks, etc. I know this how? ;)

cHyG2zbl.jpg

Last edited:
She's really lovely. I love the name too. Also, yes to splitting log hides in half! I had my husband reattach the two pieces with a little hinge.

She's so lovely and so little!! I can't wait to see her grow :)

Congratulations on your scale baby!

Ty. I'm looking forward to the journey.

She's really lovely. I love the name too. Also, yes to splitting log hides in half! I had my husband reattach the two pieces with a little hinge.

Yeah, I went to try to feed her the first time and couldn't get her out. Unlike a tp roll they can really grip in a log. Love the little hinge idea. I'm not too high tech and just press the edges together. The cork is reasonably grippy.

That is a gorgeous snake. Love her!

Ty. Me too!

Almost 17 inches!

g8t8GmPl.jpg

Wow, Cleo sure is a long girl! I knew she was long relative to the length of the viv, but I've now confirmed it with Serpwidget. Since I already had her in the clear critter keeper while I did a thorough poo search of her viv, I decided to snap a pic with a ruler. It's not the most artistic, but I was able to use it. It still shows what a pretty girl she is.

The ruler is 4 inches long.
Length of snake:
Straight: 1 feet, 4.84 inches
Curved: 1 feet, 4.98 inches

Nerdy details:
Snake is 3451.66 pixels long.
Ruler is 819.95 pixels long.
Each pixel is 0.0049 inches.

She's eating well now. She still likes a darkened room and doesn't strike but readily bites and chows down, usually butt end first. I didn't take a weight today but her last two pinkies were 3 grams each so I'm expecting to see 16 grams at the next weigh in. Obviously her tail adds inches without weight.

I've started to handle her more and she's definitely calming down. I can't believe I've only had her a month. I let her crawl around my bed for a few minutes yesterday. It was her first trip outside the viv where she could crawl in a larger area.

I won't be surprised if she goes into shed soon. It's about time for it, but it happens when it happens.

Last edited:
Nice overhead pic! I just measured Loopy on Nov 6th, 14½ inches long using Serpwidget. (Here's his 'measure me!' pic) I just lay him out on the carpet and take a quick photo. Seems to work. Funny you mention Cleo not striking, because I fed Loopy on Monday and he surprised me when he did! He struck, and coiled around that poor, already deceased, pinkie like he knew what he was doing! I had to laugh, it was so funny.
I noticed in your signature line you have a house snake, Clyde? Don't know anything about them ... You need to send a pic for sure!

Attachments

• fdd5.jpg
    fdd5.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 179
Dollysmom - Cleo's looking great! Very sweet looking girl, I love reading your updates.

kdickens - I love the Loopy pics too! Cute :)

Dollysmom - Cleo's looking great! Very sweet looking girl, I love reading your updates.

kdickens - I love the Loopy pics too! Cute :)

Thank you so much. She is a darling. She'll appreciate knowing what you said. She really is my girly, girl.

Well. She is just lovely. Caramel morphs are my most favorite, I will definitely love to see her progress!!

My Zelda is a full grown old lady snake, she's like.. 7 years old, I think? She is gorgeous and I love her to pieces but I feel sad that I didn't get to see her grow up. I CAN'T WAIT to get a baby snake, and see it grow and change! Very exciting.

And.... I'm glad you have a new snake :eek:

Well. She is just lovely. Caramel morphs are my most favorite, I will definitely love to see her progress!!

My Zelda is a full grown old lady snake, she's like.. 7 years old, I think? She is gorgeous and I love her to pieces but I feel sad that I didn't get to see her grow up. I CAN'T WAIT to get a baby snake, and see it grow and change! Very exciting.

And.... I'm glad you have a new snake :eek:

Thanks! You are very kind.

Zelda is awesome. I love seeing your photos of her. She's one beautiful snake and growing even lovelier under your care.

I'm looking forward to your baby when you get it. You'll have to write more of your experiences doing it both ways-- baby and adult. Don't forget the pictures! Best wishes.

Find the corn snake!

And now, you too can participate in an episode of that popular game show called "Find the Corn Snake".

rdULZ50l.jpg

Sometimes they are just too cute doing what they do.

First feeding pic!

DXAHLSbl.jpg

Sorry it's on the dark side.

As you all recall, Cleo was not an enthusiastic eater when she first came home. Tonight she didn't exactly strike, but she took the pinky from the tongs and the ceiling light was on.

Butt end first, of course, even though I offered her the head. She bit the side and worked her way to the nether regions. That's my girl!

She did weigh in at 16 grams as I hoped, and took a 3 gram pinky.

Back