• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eggbound girl. Informative Egg Aspiration Video Included!

Yea I doubt they are any good but I figured what the heck and stuck them in there anyway. Poor Blossom is a tired girl now that is for sure!

I have an egg bound gal. she laid 12 eggs then stopped. After watching the video ( which was extremely helpful), I aspirated one and she passed it within hours. However she still has 6 more eggs in her that have not passed. I aspirated two more, but hse has not yet passed them. I have massaged and soaked her in warm water. She drank a great deal of fresh water and has even eaten a live fuzzy. all with 6 eggs till in her. I am afraid i am going to lose her and will try to aspirated the remaining eggs today.

Any suggestions?? We do not have a reptile vet in our area.

I have an egg bound gal. she laid 12 eggs then stopped. After watching the video ( which was extremely helpful), I aspirated one and she passed it within hours. However she still has 6 more eggs in her that have not passed. I aspirated two more, but hse has not yet passed them. I have massaged and soaked her in warm water. She drank a great deal of fresh water and has even eaten a live fuzzy. all with 6 eggs till in her. I am afraid i am going to lose her and will try to aspirated the remaining eggs today.

Any suggestions?? We do not have a reptile vet in our area.

Keep Doing what your doing!!! Giving your girl time to rest/pass the other eggs between aspirations. Be sure to keep everything Hospital clean to avoid the onset of infection from so many Punctures.
Good Luck.....Your Doing great!!

I had another egg bound girl this year after the one in the video. I took a slightly different approach this time. I gave her about 12 days to pass her eggs, to no avail. Then I aspirated 7 eggs before they hardened. She passed every one of them, but not for 2-3 weeks later! I absolutely feel she would not have been able to do so if I had not deflated them and made them smaller first, as all of them were hard when they came out. But I think she was able to do it because they were small.

I also fed her normally. She ate ravenously, and pooped several times. Give her time, and as much undisturbed time as possible. Since you deflated the eggs, she may have a good chance to pass them without harm to her health.

I must say I am really learning as I go, and I think I've been lucky in my choices. I hope this helps.

Great advice, thank you. I have aspirated about 3 mls from each egg. 2 have passed. I will keep feeding her and hope for the best.

Kenya's BABIES!

Well, of the 4 eggs that weren't slugs, 2 went bad. The other two hatched while I was in Las Vegas the past 2 days. Here are the Kenya's two babies (pre-shed)!

Blackberry
Kenya_Komodo_061611_Blackberry.jpg

Raspberry
Kenya_Komodo_061611_Raspberry.jpg

Dad was a candy cane and mom was a het candy cane. Both babies are het candy cane.

Thanks to everyone who followed Kenya's story. She's doing fantastic BTW. Even laid a small clutch of slugs last week (without incident, whew).

Wow, thats a terrible thing to have to go through, but I'm very grateful for the very informative and helfpul video you posted. I'm really glad your girl is recovering nicely as well. That's always good to hear. As I am just starting myself with breeding my females this year..I've already learned quiet a bit. My oldest girl Diamond she laid 21 eggs but it was a three day process for her to go through. She actually was egg bound with one egg stuck inside of her for three weeks, she did pass it on her own though. She fed very well for me after she laid the eggs and after a few defecations past the last one. So I was very grateful she did that on her own. I made sure she was defecating and eating well and drinking plenty of fresh clean water. And now she's back to her weight she was before she laid the eggs so she's good to go. She went from 686 grams to 517 grams after laying her eggs but she gained almost all of it back. And she laid her eggs in April 13-15 so I think she recovered nicely.

Video Gone?

Is it me or my computer...I cant see the video? The one link I find on the first page say Video Unavailable. Has it been moved somewhere? I really need to watch it cause I need to do it on one of my females that is eggbound.

Thanks for any info!

Todd

I have a bubble gum snow ghost that is a little over ten years old and has laied her first ever clutch. After 16 she seemed to slow down but we can still see at least two still in her. We aspirated one because she has gone 12 hours with out laying any eggs. Should we go ahead and aspirate the other or see if she can just lay the slug naturally?

Bubble gum snow ghosts don't exist but of course the problem does. Isually advice total rest and leave it to nature until the after laying shed is done, except if the female starts to weaken or a huge egg is blocking the rest. A huge egg can be aspirated than, if she weakens a visit to the vet is needed. Please be careful not to aspirate during the blue phase if possible. I have done that twice and those females never came out of their shed, it glued against their skin and they died. If there is a huge egg blocking aspirate it a.s.a.p. and leave it to nature till after shedding for the rest of the eggs. Of course it might have been a coincidence but I don't hassle an egg bound female anymore until after shedding because they might lay the eggs with or shortly after shedding anyway.

Bubble gum snow ghosts don't exist but of course the problem does.

Yes they do, it's a selectively bred line, link to info: Bubblegum Snow Corn Snake

Anyway...

To irshwitch, I personally am not a fan of waiting. Is there a reptile vet in your area that you can call?

Typically, once you aspirate, you can gently massage the egg down toward the vent. I'm trying to find the video/thread where it shows someone doing it, but it may not be something you feel comfortable with.

You may was to go ahead a aspirate the second egg and give her a small meal. Something half the size of her normal food like a mouse hopper or large fuzzy. If you have some calcium powder, mix up a calcium slurry with water and inject into the rodent before you feed.

There is growing evidence that boosting calcium to laying females can help with passing eggs.

I have done that for years already, giving calcium a few times before laying, they need it for their muscles to push the eggs. Massaging an egg out bears the risk of damaging an egg tube if it is twisted or stuck to the egg. I go to the vet, whom numbs the vent area so the muscles relax (and of course pain reduced) so you need way less pressure.

I know not everyone is a fan of waiting, some rush to the vet right after laying and let their snakes be operated on right away if the egg is not close to the vent, but to each their choice. We all learn from our own experiences and peoples advice, but this has always been difficult decisions in breeding snakes. Waiting till after shedding worked out best for me in cases of 2 or 3 stuck eggs. I decided to not rush into all kinds of interventions since I read an advice from a very experienced and large scale breeder, I am 99% sure it was Rich of Serpenco's advice. Since the calcium feeding I have had no serious egg binding problems, but I also exercise and keep the females leaner than I used to do.

Update: Pig, my bubblegum, is doing great. After aspirating the egg that was stuck and giving her a lukewarm bath she passed the aspirated egg as well as another with ease. It looks as though there is maybe one more in there. This has been an experience for all of us seeing as we did not know she could lay eggs without mating, lol. Thank goodness for Google because it led me here.

Back