• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Loopy's Thread

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Probably was a mating season thing ... my little horny toad Loopy! And I know where you're coming from about how it hurts to give up a perfectly edible mouse! Before ordering this batch of 'Reg size' mice I still had maybe 14 of the almost adult mice left that I had to pitch. I wasn't sure if maybe they were too old in the freezer or not. Also, I needed the larger size anyway. And you would all agree, you'd gladly give up a few mice if it would lead to your snake eating again! Also ... I did something a little different. Instead of thawing out mouse in warm water like normal, this time I thawed over night in fridge (wrapped in a paper towel in a sandwich bag) then the next morning let it warm to room temp. Just before feeding warmed it a little more in warm water. Don't know if this helped or not, but he ate it!

A little off topic, but I keep a Sharpie handy and date my mice bags. Also, if you want, get yourself a Foodsaver or other vacuum sealer. The prey lasts longer and you don't get any freezer burn. I always thaw mine in warm water and rinse them well before feeding, but as long as your snake eats, there is no wrong way to do it. Whatever works is my motto, Ken.

Gail -- Not off topic a bit ... Just ordered a food sealer. When I get it I think I'll divide up new mouse shipment into 4 bags. That will help a bit. This company, although good, did not vacuum seal bags like the last company I used. So your idea should fix that! Thanks for suggesting the obvious!

Congrats, Ken. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. At least with my bags, I can reseal them. I occasionally have to get a fresh bag, but depending on the slack in the bag, I can reuse many until they are empty.

I do the seal-a-bag at Your suggestion, too. It saves me from wasting rodents, especially pinkies because they freezer burn so fast. I replace the bags when they stop holding a seal.

Loopy shed a couple days ago so we celebrated with a short 'outside for some fresh air' walk! And since he was out of his viv for a bit I re-arranged things some. I had just got that very day a new hide for him, the Exo Terra Cave, extra large. This thing will work great. He has room to make comfortable loop for after eating hanging out. He was a bit scrunched in his cork hide, which I left inside but on the other end of his viv. As you can see, he took to it right away!

Attachments

• new_skin_4-2018_87.jpg
    new_skin_4-2018_87.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 46
  • new_pad_87.jpg
    new_pad_87.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 46
A True Nightmare!

Well I didn't really know where to post this so I figured here is as good as anywhere! Probably no one has experienced this. I went out to the garage fridge to get a mouse out of the freezer for Loopy. I had just recently got a new shipment of mice delivered. (100 adult mice) When I got to the fridge I looked down at the floor and all the bags of mice were lying on the floor, fully thawed out! I had divided them up in bags of 10 and vacuum sealed them. Imagine seeing that! My wife had re-arranged the freezer and forgot to put the mice back in. (How can you miss 98 mice on the floor?) Anyway, went to Petco and bought one frozen mouse for Loopy's dinner and re-ordered another supply (50 this time) Haven't got them yet, another couple days. I also ordered a small 1.1 cu foot freezer for only mice. No one will ever need to open that freezer for anything! Gads! What a nightmare!

I'm glad they were sealed. It bites to have to buy one mouse at Petco when you have already bought so many. Anyway, hope Loopy enjoys his expensive "gourmet" Petco mouse, lol!

HaHa! Gail, it did bite just a bit ... there were mice all over the place but I wouldn't have felt good about offering one to Loopy. And the expensive ($2.99) mouse was the only option. But a small price to pay actually. The real financial loss was on the garage floor!

That must have been an awful sight! I hate to waste mice as it is. Sometimes it can’t be helped, but this was pretty tragic. Yeah, no way you could feed them. They deteriorate quickly.

So here is my freezer! Just a small one that I've put on top of my tool chest. No hamburgers or hotdogs. No ribeye steaks. No vegetables. Just mice. Lots of space too. This is what 50 adult mice look like. But at least my wife has no reason to go here! (what a nightmare that was!)

Attachments

• Mouse_Freezer resized.jpg
    Mouse_Freezer resized.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 49
Karl ... Definitely room enough for a few ice cream sandwiches! (but I might accidentally give Loopy one and then he'd be hooked and wouldn't eat mice ever again)
Gail ... A small freezer is the way to go if you have a bunch of people in the house. I've got my wife, my daughter and her son ... and me and Loopy. In your case, at least 5 that I know of!

Actually 6 Ken. I live with my SO, Tom. He’s supportive with my snake obsession as long i I take care of and pay for them. He even brings me the cleaning supplies when they poop on the floor. As to our little fridge top freezer, yeah the prey sometimes overflows the designated corner sometimes.

It's Father's Day! So to celebrate Loopy came out to say 'Hi!' to his favorite food source. That's right, I'm not just another pretty face! And ... he had to get his photo taken before his snack, here's a couple. He probably thinks ... "The stuff I have to put up with for a lousy mouse!" But that's the way it is sometimes ... you have to work for your lunch. Hope everyone and every snake had a nice day!

Attachments

• Loopy tongue small.jpg
    Loopy tongue small.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Loopy wrist.jpg
    Loopy wrist.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 28
Loopy is so big now and his colors are so vibrant. Rufus says hi, but he's currently in Blue, so I'm leaving him alone right now.

Back