View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Roy,
What is your feeding schedule for a 20ish gram hatchling. I am amazed at how well your animals grow. I have a lava het amel male that I would like to get up to breeding size by next summer. Any advice? He is a pig and is eating whatever I offer him. I am just wondering how often and what size you feed. When you move up prey items...etc. Any help?

Charlene
I've been asked this question a number of times in PMs, so I finally wised up and put it in a word document for easy cut and paste:

Quote:
-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 3-4 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 4 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 5 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 5-7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (24-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

This is by no means scientific, and not all corns will cooperate 100% with the schedule. The weight ranges I gave for the prey and snakes are approximate. I'm very consistent in my feedings. Some people feed every Saturday, for example. If they get a refusal, the snake has to wait for the next Saturday to get another shot. I don't do this. If a snake refuses today, he'll get another shot in two days.

I used to drag all prey items' back ends through a supplement mix before every feeding. I've cut it back to every 5-6 feedings. The mix is a 2:2:1 ratio of Rep-Cal Herptivite (vitamin/mineral/amino), Tetra-Fauna ReptoCal (calcium + vit D), and Nutri-Bac (probiotic).

But I also give a lot of credit for my results to The Mouse Factory. I think they put out a superior product. The importance of the nutritional value of the prey items can't be emphasized enough.

Good luck! I hope this info proves to be useful.
-Dean