View Single Post
Old 03-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
DollysMom
My local Petsmart is excellent. It’s always clean and I’ve never seen a sick looking animal there. The fish tanks and cages always look pristine. While I think the prices are insane unless something is on sale, if those prices mean a good clean store with healthy small animals and a nice cat adoption room, its a fair trade off.

We all know there are bad actors out there, not only among the chain stores, but I’ve seen dismal and dirty Mom and Pops. Sadly, one bad actor can negatively impact all pet sellers and owners. I feel incredibly angry that this Petsmart let the animals suffer.

I feel frustrated that no matter how well I care for my animals, in the eyes of the public and as a herp owner, I get painted with the black brush of the worst among us. One reason I only have 4 animals is so that things don’t get away from me. With 4 I can give them time, attention, the highest quality prey (even if it is more costly) and veterinary care. That’s not to say that excellent care can’t be given to 40 or 400 by those who have the dedication and resources, rather I’m saying that knowing one’s limitations is a big step in making sure one’s animals are cared for appropriately. Of course not being a sleezeball in the first place, as I suspect this less than one year Petsmart management was, also helps.