View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
Just for some info that may or may not help:
1. I have a 4 year old Male that stops eating every year around Christmas and doesn't eat normally again until April or May. He may occasionally take a mouse so I continue to offer food, but many times he refuses. He actually didn't eat a thing for a 6 week stretch, then ate 1 mouse, and didn't eat again for 5 more weeks. I freaked out a bit the first time, but I've come to understand this is typical of corn snakes, especially the males.

2. An otherwise healthy snake can live 6 months or more without food. So if your snake does not eat for several weeks, it's not necessarily a big deal or indication something is wrong. (Although it could be).

3. "Consistency is Key" for many reptiles. Constant changing humidity and temps can be problematic. I would think it would only be beneficial if you could come up with a way to keep the heat and humidity at or near normal. When somebody has a snake not eating properly, one of the top questions asked is: "What are the temps?" 82 to 88 on the warm side (opt for 85) and 70 ish on the cool side (I keep mine at 74). It stays this way morning and night, Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall.

4. There are some Medical Issues that could cause a snake not to eat as well. Internal Parasites, and other Digestive tract ailments. If everything in the cage is fine, then a trip to the vet may be in order.

5. And lastly, a lot of snakes will refuse food coming up to a shed. You stated your snake has not shed in a while. It could be maybe the snake is about to. I'm not talking about the Eyes getting cloudy or Blue. The shedding process begins a long time before that. Most snakes will hide a bit more before they shed. The entire process can be several weeks. I noticed in your descriptive post above your stated several times you feed more than 1 mouse at a time? Perhaps you are over feeding or under feeding? 1 Mouse of the proper size is what most of us do.