View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
Karl_Mcknight
I have 2 "Snake Hooks" that I carry when I'm out in the rough. One is a small Telescopic Hook that goes from about 12 inches long to about 3 feet. It's light weight and cheap, for smaller snakes. I bought it online for a few bucks. The other is a more sturdy one that I made at work. It's made of steel and about 4 feet long.

I don't dare go "Snake hunting" without them, for several reasons - 1. They come in handy to fend off the "Bad Ones you don't see" after they have you in the crosshairs, 2. It's easier to pick up a snake in order to move it to another location. Almost any wild snake will try to bite, although most rat snakes, corn snakes and king snakes will mellow out after they realize you mean them no harm.

We have lots of Corn Snakes as well as Eastern King snakes, and Grey Rat snakes here in Tennessee, but also Copperheads, Water Moccasins, Timber Rattlers, and Eastern Diamondbacks. I've heard we also have Pygmy Rattlers here but I have never seen one yet.

Interestingly - It's against the Law in Tennessee to kill a snake. Period! Any kind! Although a lot of people still do.