View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 08:11 PM   #60
carol
Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzt80

I just don't agree with the "I've always used bloodred and understands what it means myself so I'm going to continue to use it." argument. D80
I don't think that is anyones REAL arguement here. So are you OK with the "I like diffuse better and I understand what it means so I am going to start using it" arguement? The arguement for it is really no more trivial than the one against it. I think what the real point is that, yes, some people are ignorant as to what the "bloodred" pattern is, yes, some people capitalize on that and rip people off, yes, is does take some explaining to new ones to get them to understand what a butter(or whatever) bloodred is.
However, there will still be people (in fact MORE) that are ignorant as to what a diffuse corn is, others will still capitalize on it and rip people off, and it will still take some time to describe what a butter diffuse is.
Its is a lot of trouble to really get nowhere. Its not like we will stick a new name on and all the newbies will suddenly be blessed with more understanding. Yes it may save us one sentance when describing to a new person what bloodred is. But it will cost us many more "sentances" when we all have to answer questions like "Why does my diffuse corn look like the bloodred on page 969", or now we will have to "correct" people when they sell their "bloodreds" from a Pewter X Bloodred pairing. And don't forget the many many posts we will get asking "What is the difference between a diffuse and a bloodred".

I have no arguement that there is a difference between the pattern mutant and the color. But Serp, the one arguement you left out in your bulleted list is:
  • It is too much trouble to go through with not enough advantages in return. A new name would create just as much confusion as keeping the old one.
One thing is for sure though, if the majority disagrees with that and everyone goes with a name change, it should be done soon before all the up and coming "bloodred/diffuse" morphs come on line.