View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 04:34 AM   #10
J.Catherine
Well, continuing in this saga, the eggs unfortunately died as my incubator broke. As I went to fix it I took the tub out and put it on a hot water bottle filled with hot but not boiling water and on top of several towels. Temperature plummeted. So I took off a layer of towels, and another, and another until it was right on the hot water bottle and the temperature stopped dropping, but it was 22c (71f) by this point. Incubator gets fixed, I pick up the tub and it's too hot to touch. So I either froze or boiled the eggs, but a few days later and they were all brown. A dissection confirmed they were indeed fertile and would've yielded lovely babies.

After the clutch my corn fed ravenously, but then stopped. I thought 'surely not..', but I put a laying box in last night and woke up this morning to see her huddled round a clutch!

Didn't put her with the male again obviously as I wasn't super keen on a double clutch since this is her first season, but nature has found a way clearly. No idea if they are fertile but they certainly look initially healthy. Really hope she starts feeding soon too.