• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eating Habits!

How does your corn feed?

• Prey is dangled in air, snake strikes and constricts

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Prey is dangled in air, snake strikes but no constriction

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Prey is set down, snake strikes and constricts.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Prey is set down, snake strikes but doesn't constrict.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Snake just eats it, no striking or constricting.

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

beaniebopps

Beanie
I'd just like to know what the general eating habits are of your corns. (this was inspired by the thread linking morphs and eating lol)

I've got one who has never refused a meal, always strikes at it right away and contricts it too, and then munch munch haha

The snow doesn't strike at it though, so i have to set it down in her feeding box and she calmly slithers up to it and eats it...

Good idea..LOL ..I should have added a poll to mine ..I 'm really curious with this and I'm anxious to see what some of the very large scale breeders have to say:) Thanks for the poll :)

I've found hot zombie mice mean a constriction 90% of feedings for the bigger snakes, I set the thawed mice under a desklamp before dangling it from tongs. (I was using a hairdryer to heat the mice but found the 'jumping zombie' effect was too wierd). I see this as good exercise for the snakes
For the small snakes I just leave them in peace with their hot pinks, I'm more concerned that they just eat than do acrobatics

Attachments

• 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 88
When I present the pinky to my lil ones, I use chop sticks to hold the pinky, I move the pinky close to the head of the snake. As soon as the snake sees the pinky and starts moving towards it, I slowly move it away. This causes the snake to stalk it. I let the snake get close, and then it strikes. I have not had either snake constrict a pinky yet.

Depends on how they are feed. If they are in a feed box, then they usually just start eating. If they are in the tub, it depends on the animal, some just start eating, while others constrict. It also depends on the food item. Live and PK/thumped and still kicking, almost always elicit a strike and constriction, while FT does less often. I like it when the large females constrict, as it gives them a chance to get some exercise. Thus is gives them a better chance of not being obese and giving me slugs.

All of my adults will constrict their prey and half of my babies will constrict their prey..I used to think it was the size of prey but several go after the pinkies by constricting.

I warm all mice with warm water and then just start popping them in each tank for the little ones..Tho with two or three I have to take the hide out or they will retreat and not eat.

Larger snakes go into feeding bins and then I dangle prey and it is normall snatched and cuddled for a bit then consumed:)

I put the mice in the feeding bin, then put the snake in. None of mine strike or constrict. Zee usually bites his in the abdomen, sideways, and chews on it to envenomate it for 10-15 minutes, then moves to either end without letting go and swallows.

Nanci

My snake will strike and constrict if it's a live pinkie. If it's a f/t pinkie, he just goes to the head and starts swallowing. :) He doesn't seem to care if it's live or f/t. :eatpointe

beaniebopps said:
I'd just like to know what the general eating habits are of your corns. (this was inspired by the thread linking morphs and eating lol)

I've got one who has never refused a meal, always strikes at it right away and contricts it too, and then munch munch haha

The snow doesn't strike at it though, so i have to set it down in her feeding box and she calmly slithers up to it and eats it...

I miss the option ignore the food and go for your fingers.

Otherwise pretty much all of the above at one point or the other.

My 5.5 foot corn occasionally squeezes the mouse so hard it will pop all over the place and it is proper disgusting.

Double het said:
I miss the option ignore the food and go for your fingers.

Otherwise pretty much all of the above at one point or the other.

Haha yeah well i DID put in an 'other' option. Also meant to have it so you can check more than one box, as alot of poeple will have more than one snake who does somethging different from the others... sorry!

I selected 'Snake just eats it. No striking or constricting'. For my Corn, I just set the fuzzy down in his tank, and within 10 minutes it's gone.

For my Royal Python, I dangle the rat with a pair of tongs, she'll come up to it, set herself, then strike and constrict. She even decided to drag it into the water last night to eat it. It was quite funny, she always stands up to finish it, she looked like the Loch Ness Monster.

It's funny, my snakes have done all that your state in your poll. Their "eatting habits" has change since they were hatchling. Starting with no constricting to striking with constricting. I think this might be the case with some snakes.

Back