• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Would you ever keep venomous snakes?

I am really fascinated by them and would love to keep them, but I know I'll probably never have the money or the training necessary to keep them in total safety conditions. So, as long as it's this way, I'm gonna have to refrain myself from it.
Now, I really love the atheris and other colourful vipers, but they are out of my reach.

Unfortunately, here it's not that easy to see venomous snakes, and is mostly limited to some small bush vipers and kind of old continent garters. I think in the USA it's much easier to come across one. It would be very nice to be able to go herping and see them in the wild.

I would like to share this site, just for pure information purposes and so that all can learn from other countries' herps.
These 5 are the most and only venomous snake species in Spain: http://labarbadedarwin.com/2014/08/17/las-5-serpientes-mas-venenosas-de-espana/ (sorry, it's in Spanish, but you have the scientific name and some pictures).
Apart from these 5, we only have another 13 non-venomous species:
1. Monspessulanus Serpiente Montpellier.
2. Macroprotodon Cucullatus.
3. Natrix Culebra.
4. Elaphe Scalaris.
5. Elaphe Longissima.
6. Hemorrhois Hippocrepis.
7. Coronella Austriaca.
8. Coronella Girondica
9. Coluber Viridiflavus.
10. Natrix Maura.
11. Vipera Aspis.
12. Vipera Seoanei.
13. Vipera Latastei.

I hope you find this interesting.

I would like to share this site, just for pure information purposes and so that all can learn from other countries' herps.
These 5 are the most and only venomous snake species in Spain: http://labarbadedarwin.com/2014/08/17/las-5-serpientes-mas-venenosas-de-espana/ (sorry, it's in Spanish, but you have the scientific name and some pictures).
Apart from these 5, we only have another 13 non-venomous species:
1. Monspessulanus Serpiente Montpellier.
2. Macroprotodon Cucullatus.
3. Natrix Culebra.
4. Elaphe Scalaris.
5. Elaphe Longissima.
6. Hemorrhois Hippocrepis.
7. Coronella Austriaca.
8. Coronella Girondica
9. Coluber Viridiflavus.
10. Natrix Maura.
11. Vipera Aspis.
12. Vipera Seoanei.
13. Vipera Latastei.

I hope you find this interesting.

Muy interesante. Gracias. ¿Como se dice "corn snake" en español?

(Very interesting. Thanks. How do you say "corn snake" in Spanish?)

Muy interesante. Gracias. ¿Como se dice "corn snake" en español?

(Very interesting. Thanks. How do you say "corn snake" in Spanish?)

We say "serpiente del maíz", "serpiente del maizal" (corn snake) or "serpiente del panizo" (maize snake).

This is my newest addition. African Snouted Cobra (Naja annulifera)

Cool! Nice to see you back. What made you pick that cobra species, out of all of them?

To revisit the original question eight years later- I still am not interested in keeping venomous snakes, although I am happy that there are people who do. I hope we, the herp community, retain that right.

I might like to keep heloderms of some sort- but really I'd rather a friend kept them and I could just go visit.

I'd love to see them set down those captive Crotalus and pick up some WC Naja melanoleuca or Pseudonaja textilis. Free handle some of those and I will be "impressed" with their stupid stunts.

Doesn't matter what I think of another's religion. There is no need to insult it. You could have easily made your point without doing so.

I will happily insult someone for doing a reckless and potentially dangerous thing regardless of their reason for doing it.

I will happily insult someone for doing a reckless and potentially dangerous thing regardless of their reason for doing it.

Reckless and dangerous, cruel to animals, AND endangers all our rights to keep venomous and non-venomous reptiles, thanks to their stupid stunts.

Cool! Nice to see you back. What made you pick that cobra species, out of all of them?

To revisit the original question eight years later- I still am not interested in keeping venomous snakes, although I am happy that there are people who do. I hope we, the herp community, retain that right.

I might like to keep heloderms of some sort- but really I'd rather a friend kept them and I could just go visit.

I picked N. annulifera for a few reasons. They are known to have a mellower temperament as they age and I really like the look of them. They are a slightly heavier build than some of the other Najas. They feed like they are a rat snake. I knew just from my collection of Asian Ratsnakes that I wanted something with similar traits. Diurnal and active. Najas fit that bill, they are very curious and attentive in general.

I'm hoping to add a few more in the future.
In no order:
N. nivea
N. siamensis
N. pallida
N. haje legionis

A few more of the lil gal :)

Attachments

• IMG_20151114_190027.jpg
    IMG_20151114_190027.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20151114_190138.jpg
    IMG_20151114_190138.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 81
Venomous are not legal where I live. I have no problem with responsible keepers having them, but I personally would not.

Tonight was the first time I've fed live in... shoot probably 6-7 years? I haven't had a baby snake in so long that my current stock of frozen food is more or less all Med-Jumbo rats and some adult mice. I bought a handful of frozen fuzzies for my new Naja from the pet store to get us by until the next show (this weekend). Well she eats every 4 days or so (crazy metabolism these things have) and I ran out a few days ago. With only one feeding left until the Sunday show I only needed to get one and to save time I got a live so I wouldn't have to thaw.

So I tong feed her as usual and take the time to observe something I so far haven't been able to witness. Her venom's potency. From the initial bite to lack of movement (twitching or breathing) was just under 10 seconds.

Sure it's only a fuzzy, but a fuzzy is a big meal for her right now.

Lil' gal packs a wallop!

She's adorable! I love cobras...given that I am such a clutz and get tagged by my ball python and bloodred corn on a regular basis hots are definitely NOT on my agenda at any time. They are beautiful animals though for sure.

Back