View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #8
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
"Rat Snakes"?? What are those? Other than "Red Rat Snakes", of course.

And I beg to differ, but most of the Caramels I produced and kept long enough to tell, had prominent black borders to the blotches. Matter of fact, I wasn't able to REDUCE those borders till I started breeding Hypo into the line, as well as Motley, and Blood Red. I actually had to work to reduce those black borders in subsequent generations.

How do you know that? You have extensively canvassed the locality where the original animal carrying the Caramel gene came from?

Yes, a LOCALITY wild caught animal brought into a pet shop. Cape Coral, to be exact.

I'm surprised I still have these pics laying around from 2007.
Red Rat, Rat Snakes, is there a difference?

If you breed a Palmetto Yellow Rat Snake x Red Rat Snake, "Corn Snake", and produce Yellow Jacket Het Palmettos that are always "Tan", does it matter?

Is the Hypo gene found in Rat Snakes the same as the Hypo gene in Corn Snakes that is infected with the "Borderless" gene? Perhaps.

The Borderless gene is dominant and not easy to breed out of a line, but it can be. Het Borderless x same, will produce 1 in 4, that is not Borderless.

Where did Borderless come from? Most likely Rat Snakes, other than Red Rat Snakes.

Caramel Corns may live in the wild, if they were released from Captive Breeding Programs, but no wild Caramels have been caught to date, that I know of.

Goldens are a new gene, with Locality data, if it matters to you. Hunt Club Okeetees are Locality Corns, if it matters to you.

It will be interesting to see the different Golden Combines that match the Caramel History. Amel Goldens, Hypo Goldens, Lava Goldens, Bloodred Goldens, Striped Golden Sunkissed, the Sky is the limit with the New Golden Gene.