View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 04:30 AM   #8
Strikealight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Strikealight, where their range in the wild extends, the vast majority of available small prey is baby lizards, especially anoles. Many a non-feeder hatchling will take lizard-scented prey.
Just as while captive bred hognoses feed on mice, in the wild they primarily eat frogs.
Duly noted - didn't appreciate that. I thought corns were pretty much synonymous with rodent populations and that they may have got their name from being commonly found in corn barns for that very reason. I would also have otherwise thought it far more plausible for a hatchling corn to able to tuck in on a nest of helpless baby mice than to regularly catch something as quick as a baby anole. But in the context of this thread, isn't it still a big leap between prey with hard skeletons on the one hand (including rodents and lizards) and worms on the other? Also, isn't it the case that to maximise the chances of survival in a hatchling corn it is by far better to feed it on mice? I have never heard of any noteworthy corn breeder / keeper ever feeding with worms, but I again stand to be corrected.