View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
"Aggressive and Staying in his hide" are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

"Aggressive" means it chases you around the house like an aggressive Pit Bull.

Something that hides all the time is not aggressive, it's either sick, scared, or not comfortable.

The fact your snake may "Strike at you" does not mean he's aggressive, after all, "You" are invading his space. You are the aggressor, he's obviously scared and wants to be left alone. So the question is, Why?

1. It's a known fact snakes like to hide a lot coming in to a shed. They don't like to be bothered during this time.

2. You stated temps were 75 to 80. Those are not ideal temps for a corn snake. I have found many cranky snakes change their attitudes when the temps are adjusted. The cool side of the cage should be around 70 to 75, the warm side around 82 to 88. (Optimum numbers would be 73 & 85.)

3. You are using a snake hook to get him out. That probably freaks him out too. I might be inclined to use a snake hook on a 5 foot long rattle snake, but there really is no need for a snake hook on a baby corn snake.

I'm going to suggest, either your snake is scared to death of you, it's about to shed, or it's uncomfortable.

Perhaps you can start there.