View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
Rich Z
Yes, I still have them. Here's some pics I took a few years ago -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=572495

But they are beginning to be overrun with the sundews I also planted in those tubs. I never realized how quickly and profusely sundews will spread! I sure hate to have to weed the sundews out, but they are going to choke back the venus fly traps unless I do. Maybe I need to start another tub or two just for them.

Anyway, the venus fly traps and sundews are putting up seed stalks already.

They actually do very well outside with no real maintenance. Just set them up in some sort of tub set in the ground with drainage holes such that the medium (50% peat moss, 50% sand) won't stay soaking wet, but there will be moisture always available for the roots to reach. Do NOT water them with tap or well water!! This is important! Only use rain water or during drought situations, use distilled water. No need to cover them to retain humidity. They really don't need it except when they are newly sprouted seedlings, and then only for maybe the first season. Venus fly traps are found naturally along the coast at the border between North Carolina and South Carolina, so over wintered in cold temps doesn't bother them too much. They may die back a little, but they will come back in full force the following spring. if you have them outside, they will catch all the insects they need all by themselves. Basically just keep them from drying out completely during dry spells, and just stand back.

Seeds are easy to propagate. Get one of those seed starter kits, mix together a medium of 50 percent peat moss (make sure that the peat moss doesn't have any additives for fertilization) and sand. Moisten the medium, sprinkle a few seeds on top of the mixture in each cup provided in the kit, and then put a cover on it to retain moisture. Do not put them into direct sun, or the heat build up in the sealed unit will kill the seeds. Just a shady spot outside where they can get reflected sunlight will be just fine. Once they have sprouted, you can remove the cover and put them in the sun. Then cover them back up over night if you are now keeping them in direct sun. I have pretty close to 100 percent success with any seeds I have tried to propagate. But the young plants can dry out quickly while they are small and the roots shallow, so they do need some TLC for the first year or two.

You can normally find grown venus fly traps at Home Depot or Lowes in the Spring months, but bear in mind they have normally been grown in a hot house. If you want to expose them to direct sun, do so gradually so the leaves will harden off. Otherwise they will burn and be damaged. But the new growth will come back fully hardened off against sunlight, and then you no longer have to worry about the sun. Further south, you may want to put a piece of netting overtop of the plants to try to filter out the harsher sunlight a bit, but I'm not sure it will really bother them any. I did that for the first year or two, as all the purchased plants I got were acclimating themselves, but no longer need do that. They get full unfiltered sunlight and do just fine.

Hope that helps.