View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 09:20 PM   #1
LawrenceM
Advice on first feed/handlingfor new snake

I just received my baby Okeetee (unnamed as of yet) from Kathy Love. I have left him to settle in in the tank now for three days and nights as she suggests in her book. He his been hiding most of the time and only venturing out to explore for a few minutes each day. Tomorrow I am going to be feeding him a defrosted pinkie and also I want to handle him a bit too. I need advice on whether 1-I should feed him in the tank or in a separate container - a tupperware long container with holes in the sides, and 2 - if I should handle him at all at this stage. As to the feeding in a separate container, I think I will be doing that in the long run so I was going to start now. However, I am a little worried that moving him into a separate container for my first feed will spook him and cause him not to eat. I have the same concern about handling him (that it might upset him and cause him not to eat). But on the other hand part of me thinks that if I handle him a bit (for 5 min.) he will start to realize I am not a danger to him and thus start the bonding process. My plan was to take him out, handle him for 5 min., then put him back in the tank. Some time later I was going to take him out and place him in the feeding container. I don't want to mess up so early in our relationship and, therefore, I need your advice!