View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Roy Munson
Sad Accident. Advice?

I don't usually post question threads, but I'm shaken up over an accident that occurred last night. I've been sick to my stomach since, and I was up every half hour last night with a flashlight, peeking into a tub.

I've posted on the subject of the dangers of multi-tasking and snake care, but mostly in terms of enclosure security. I had family over last night, and they wanted to handle the snakes. I also had feeding duties to perform, so I was juggling a bunch of things at once. When I went to put my puny '05 male blizzard in the rack after feeding, I didn't notice that he had slithered up between the tub and the lid. Usually I visually verify the position of the snake before I snap the lid. This time I didn't. This wasn't much of a problem until I went to rack the tub. The security benefit of using lids with the tubs in the rack is that the pressure exerted between the shelves onto the tub is considerable. As soon as I shoved the tub in about halfway, the snake started thrashing around violently, so I knew something was wrong. I pulled the tub out, and flipped off the lid, and he dropped to the bottom of the tub, squirming wildly. His head went into the waterbowl, and he was still for a few moments. I grabbed him from the waterbowl and placed him on the aspen. It looked as if one side of his neck was compressed/pinched for an inch or two behind his head. He was still breathing, heavily in fact, and then after another 30 seconds he went into his hide, holding his head at an angle.

He came out of his hide several times last night, then he ended up settling on top of it for a number of hours. I could see that he was still breathing the whole time. About half an hour ago I noticed him crawling around, seemingly normally, with no visible injury except that his head is still tilted. Suprisingly, he still hasn't regurged. If he hadn't just eaten, I think I would have done what I could to find an available herp vet to look at him last night. But I'm afraid that if he has damage to his neck/head, that adding more stress could invite a regurge that could finish him off. On the other hand, if he's suffering, I would feel terrible sitting around waiting to see what happens. He doesn't appear to be suffering, but I can't pretend that I would know exactly what that looks like. The head tilt thing is extremely troubling.

Sorry for the novel, I just wanted to get all details in. I feel terrible. Any advice?