View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #90
Kat
I'll add my own little stupid oversight story. One year in a pet store, I found these little rodent waterdishes with the cutouts on the side... This made them an ideal waterdish for baby cornsnakes, since they could hide underneath. I bought a whole mess of them, rinsed them off, and used them for my hatchlings that year.

The next year, I went to re-use them. Being in a hurry, I ran them through the dishwasher instead of spraying and wiping them down. Unfortunately, the UPC sticker was on the bottom of the waterdish, and while the paper part of the sticker dissolved completely, the glue remained. I put the dishes in the hatchling containers when I set them up, and went about my normal snakekeeping. A couple days later, I was surprised to find out that none of the hatchlings had touched the mice I'd given them the night before. I disposed of the pinks and went to change the water... only to find hatchlings stuck to the bottoms of most of the water dishes. It took lots of careful work to free them, and I think some of them were too traumatized to start feeding and starved to death.

Needless to say, I don't use waterdish-hides with any sort of sticker on the underside anymore. (Most of my hatchlings drink out of little glass condiment dishes now...)

-Kat