• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression thread: Normal Cape African house snake

He's still really little so it's hard to compare. Clyde is 10 inches long and 8 grams. Cleo (corn) is 16.8 inches long and 16 grams, so that actually makes her slightly heavier per inch. I think it must be how it's distributed. ;)

She's also a month younger than he is. In general, both species are considered slender snakes.

They certainly feel different when I handle them. He does feel rounder and softer to me. Of course there really is no comparing them. I just love both of them so much!

I wouldn't really say that they are exactly heavier bodied than a corn, they are just little balls of muscle. I can't remember the exact statistics but I read somewhere that they are (one?) of or (the?) strongest species, weight for weight, of colubrids in the world. They have a grip like you wouldn't believe in such a little snake!

I've had a few flighty, zippy ones hatch that will try and fly out of your hands and nearly all of the babies are pretty quick moving placed on a surface. However, most of them are content to wrap around your fingers, finding lots of places to grip, and explore one's hands practically forever. Even when they startle, they tend to keep a grip on a finger and jump away from whatever freaked them out but do not attempt to go flying out of your hands like most other baby snakes do when startled.

They can be a major pain to incubate and get started eating (though they are usually great eaters once they've started) and breeding them has caused me a great deal of frustration this year but then I hold a baby and fall in love with them all over again. For handling, they are definitely up there in my top favorites!

Thanks Tavia! I had not heard about their strength. I have been following the feeding, though. Best wishes with the problem feeders.

Oh yes, Clyde literally wraps around my fingers. Even when I assisted the tail shed, I was amazed how mellow he was.

I want to mention that he found the little water dish you told me about and he hides under it. He also likes his cork half round warm hide and his crocodile skull. It was the crocodile he shed on. The shed was all wrapped in and out of the crocodile mouth!

I hope my son gets here with his good camera soon ;) !

Sorry, no photos today, but I needed to note our first "monthaversary" today. Clyde has put on two grams since I got him, so he's up to 10 grams. Still a very little guy but we are on our way. He is a little sweetie and I'm so lucky to have him. <3

I hope to get some holiday pics after his next feeding!

Clyde is in blue

SMtdbJIl.jpg

He's been hanging in his humid hide for about a week. It's so interesting that if the hide is larger than they are, they find a way to make a cozy corner for themselves. He did not move a muscle when I took this picture.

Guess the holiday pics will have to wait :D.

FynZraql.jpg

Alright! Funny, I looked at him this afternoon and predicted this for tomorrow morning. When I came home from a party tonight I saw Clyde was out of his humid hide where he had been for over a week and was under his little water dish. Then I looked closely and found his perfect little shed. :D

Post shed pics

H7a8VoQl.jpg

xZ5twVUl.jpg

Just stole a couple of quick shots of Clyde because I didn't want to disturb him much before feeding tonight. This is natural lighting. Finally have some sun so the room was brighter. His color seems a little lighter with each shed. I know they are highly variable, but is this the het T- albino coming through? Dunno about the albino factor, but I think he's amazing!

If anyone is wondering, that's an African scarf he is on. It is from Uganda and his species is from South Africa, but it's the best I could do :).

you should make him a little bandana out of that scarf and tie it around his neck. LOL

I like the 2 little white stripes running from his snout down the side of his head. Very cool

Great pictures!

Not sure if the het influences anything or not either. I've had a few nearly black babies hatch out but they've all lightened up with each shed too. None have stayed that dark.

This was Clyde's dad when I got him, Ukiah was a good bit older than Clyde is now though, when I first got him.

daf2f76def5732c7a61bfd4600a627fe_zps9e1dbb89.jpg

This is a near adult picture of Ukiah in direct sun. (I need to get some new pictures of him!)

263260d3f057ba602950a6e537ad3cba_zps49dfd5a9.jpg

And one indoors with flash. I'd expect most the normal babies to end up a similar shade, though they vary a bit, so might be a little darker or lighter than Ukiah.

109dd933c02536f948d4b802d73ed9f9_zpsa05a2d70.jpg

you should make him a little bandana out of that scarf and tie it around his neck. LOL

I like the 2 little white stripes running from his snout down the side of his head. Very cool

Lol, not sure he'd take kindly to the bandana, lol. Yeah, I love the white stripes, too. Of course as his mama, I think he's perfect :D

Great pictures!

Not sure if the het influences anything or not either. I've had a few nearly black babies hatch out but they've all lightened up with each shed too. None have stayed that dark.

This was Clyde's dad when I got him, Ukiah was a good bit older than Clyde is now though, when I first got him.

daf2f76def5732c7a61bfd4600a627fe_zps9e1dbb89.jpg

This is a near adult picture of Ukiah in direct sun. (I need to get some new pictures of him!)

263260d3f057ba602950a6e537ad3cba_zps49dfd5a9.jpg

And one indoors with flash. I'd expect most the normal babies to end up a similar shade, though they vary a bit, so might be a little darker or lighter than Ukiah.

109dd933c02536f948d4b802d73ed9f9_zpsa05a2d70.jpg

Thanks for these pics and info Tavia. It will be interesting to see how Clyde matures! I had seen a pic of Ukiah before, but it's great seeing more. He's certainly is a handsome guy!

Back