• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

RI Treatment (How-to)

18 years ago they suggested dusting roaches with a pro-biotic? Hmmm never heard that one.

Honestly, I don't know because Toby did not eat roaches. But there were various calcium products on the market back then that were reccommended to sprinkle on his food. I used Nutrical.
So there is a good chance that supplements were used for other lizards as well.

I've talked to a lot of old school lizard guys. Pro-biotics were never tried. I use Calcium D3 and nurti-bac.

I accept your apology, and understand where you're coming from, but if anyone looks me up on Fauna, or looks into my work with AFTs, you'd never know I was 18. Nearly every customer I talk to, and tell I'm 18, tell me that I don't sound like it. If you didn't know my age, how old would you assume I was? Age is merely a number. My age and my experience are 2 different things. I've been doing this for 10 years, but in those 10 years I've had the privledge to meet a lot of people, and learn a lot. This is my thing, this is my career, and this is my hobby. I work with reptiles every day, at work, and at home. I wouldn't change it for anything. I would appriciate if people took that into consideration when criticizing me. Beth, I may irk you when I post, but I'm not ashamed to say I've been doing this for 10 years. I'm proud of that fact and will flaunt it. I'm proud I stuck with it, and didn't give up. I guess, I do come off rude sometimes, that's not my intention.

I kept lizards in the 1980s and their crickets were always dusted with something called "Herptovit", if I remember the name correctly. That was given to me as a basic husbandry requirement when I bought them.

I bought it in loose bags from my local reptile tourist attraction, so I never knew what exactly was in it.

I've talked to a lot of old school lizard guys. Pro-biotics were never tried. I use Calcium D3 and nurti-bac.

I accept your apology, and understand where you're coming from, but if anyone looks me up on Fauna, or looks into my work with AFTs, you'd never know I was 18. Nearly every customer I talk to, and tell I'm 18, tell me that I don't sound like it. If you didn't know my age, how old would you assume I was? Age is merely a number. My age and my experience are 2 different things. I've been doing this for 10 years, but in those 10 years I've had the privledge to meet a lot of people, and learn a lot. This is my thing, this is my career, and this is my hobby. I work with reptiles every day, at work, and at home. I wouldn't change it for anything. I would appriciate if people took that into consideration when criticizing me. Beth, I may irk you when I post, but I'm not ashamed to say I've been doing this for 10 years. I'm proud of that fact and will flaunt it. I'm proud I stuck with it, and didn't give up. I guess, I do come off rude sometimes, that's not my intention.

But, how old are you now? Either 18 or 19 right? So, when you say you've been "doing this" for 10 years, you can understand how people who do know how old you are are feeling, right?
I mean, what you do now and what you did 10 years ago are not the same thing at all, how can they be?
No matter how passionate you were at 8, no matter what a good little keeper you were, how can that be seen at the same level to what you are doing now?
Personally I think you "began" what you are doing now when you went against everyone's advice and got Jasmine (that's her name, right) and proved all of us wrong when you proved a great keeper to her.
I also think we need more pictures of her.....remember how you loved her?

Oh yeah and edited to add, doing something you love for however length of time is a wonderful thing, but not neccessarily something to be proud of. Learning as you go, and doing whatever is in the animal's best interests are REALLY something to be proud of. Just because someone does something for a long long time, does not mean they are doing it well. Right?

You're right Beth. It's a lot different. I think when I got Jasmine stuff did change quite a bit, and I changed a lot of things. I want to do this as a career, because I love it. I love every second of the breeding, and the babies hatching, to nailing a big sale. I enjoy all of it. I still love my small snake collection, I just don't have time to take pictures! Jasmines around 7 foot now. I made a ton of mistakes when I started and I still make mistakes. My collection has reached the size where I don't have time to go through and handle everything, but everything is well cared for. In all honesty, my job has taught me so much and given me such a better understanding of the hobby and animal husbandry. I'm just glad I got the chance to be involved in the hobby. My parents are supportive but never have paid for my hobby. I was doing chores up until I was 15, and now my hobby essentially supports itself, and then some. I want this to be my career, and will not stop until I'm at that point.

You're right Beth. It's a lot different. I think when I got Jasmine stuff did change quite a bit, and I changed a lot of things. I want to do this as a career, because I love it. I love every second of the breeding, and the babies hatching, to nailing a big sale. I enjoy all of it. I still love my small snake collection, I just don't have time to take pictures! Jasmines around 7 foot now. I made a ton of mistakes when I started and I still make mistakes. My collection has reached the size where I don't have time to go through and handle everything, but everything is well cared for. In all honesty, my job has taught me so much and given me such a better understanding of the hobby and animal husbandry. I'm just glad I got the chance to be involved in the hobby. My parents are supportive but never have paid for my hobby. I was doing chores up until I was 15, and now my hobby essentially supports itself, and then some. I want this to be my career, and will not stop until I'm at that point.

I got my first reptile (Toby) when I was 32 and my first snake when I was 33. I have been in the hobby for 18 years. Sounds pretty impressive, right? Not so much as you being able to say you got your first snake at 8!! You having a pet snake at 8 and learning how to keep it properly says alot more than that you have been "doing this" for 10 years, wouldn't you say?

Beth, you're right. I tend to sound like I'm bragging, but it's that I'm so pround of my accomplishments, I say stuff without thinking. I'll make an honest effort to sound more humble.

Beth, you're right. I tend to sound like I'm bragging, but it's that I'm so pround of my accomplishments, I say stuff without thinking. I'll make an honest effort to sound more humble.

Honey, if you accomplish one tenth of what you plan to, in a few years you can brag your bum off and no one will care.
But while the years are not on your side just yet, humble never hurts!

Yeah, I guess that's true LOL! I have a habit of getting ahead of myself! No wonder my mom always told me "David! Be humble!"

Bringing the back to topic lol, in hindsight the boiling water in just the cup might not have been the best option, but I was sitting there watching to make sure they didn't move their bags. I did a second treatment on the hog last night and put the water into a small sterilite tub with holes melted into it and the snake into a seperate tub (all within a big tub) to eliminate the risk of the snake coming into contact with the water. After the initial treatment, the JCP hasn't shown any signs of the infection coming back and just upon a quick look this morning before work, the Hog's also seems to have cleared up, but as with all things, time will tell. Thank you for everyone's input on this thread, I will keep posting results as I find them, and I'm also very curious to what Lenny and the others researching this on their own find out.

As far as I know Vicks and such are reducers of symptoms, not cures. So, in early stages of RI, it might help a snake breath better and to feel better, but it won't cure the RI because it is not an antibitioc. And if it is a virus there is no cure anyway, the snake can only fight that itselves. That said, we indeed do not know if eucalyptus, menthol and such are harmful to a snakes lungs. I doubt if a couple of 10 minute treatments in their lives will actually be able to harm them at all, but is the risk worth the results? Postponing going to a vet and stressing an already drowsy snake IMO has a higher chance of harming the snake than helping it. Maybe in a few days the infection kicks in again... while it could have been cured... Of course I do hope you prove us wrong!

Again, I will stick with my original opinion, that it is a reckless (don't know how to better describe it) treatment that I think may cause damage to the snake. You're a relative newbie, and I really suggest you take the snake to the vet ASAP. You may be helping the snake breath, but there are bacteria that could (I should say are), living inside the snake still, that are going to cause issues. Why risk your snakes lives and not go to the vet. I mean every time I've gone for an RI it's around $150. That's not a whole lot.....

David,
In case you haven't been reading, I'm not the first one to have tried this method and it wasn't my original idea, I just thought it be interesting information to pass along to members on a community that I am apart of. As far as calling it a "how-to" I still agree that's what it is, it's an informational thread with pictures and details on what I did in a chronological order. Also, you've made your point how you disagree with my methods in the last however many posts you made, so at this point, I've just decided you're intentionally being a troll, trying to start an argument and are therefore no long even worth my time to respond to. Have a nice day.

Back