Thread: Thermostats
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 12:46 AM   #3
Rich Z
Speaking of thermostats....

Many years ago, and I mean MANY years ago, when Connie was first working with leopard geckos and we were starting to get eggs from them, a guy I was selling a lot of my animals to at the time loaned me an incubator he had laying around for those eggs. He wanted me to try to set the sex of the babies by controlling the incubation temperature.

Being the cautious type, I set up his incubator and set the thermostat on it to be a constant temperature. Something like 82 degrees, if I remember correctly. And I also set a minimum/maximum thermometer inside to monitor the temperature stability for several days.

For the first few days, everything looked fine, with the temp swing being minor around the thermostat set temperature. But after around 4 days or so, I looked in at it, and although the temp was reading 82 degrees at the moment, the min/max thermometer I had set up in it showed that at some point the temperature reached 120 degrees. Yikes! I don't know if that happened multiple times, or just a single time, but I sure was glad that Connie hadn't put any of her leopard gecko eggs in there. We likely would have never known why the eggs went bad on us. Needless to say he got is incubator back....

So be careful. Anything can fail. Try not to let such a failure cause you a disappointing loss.