• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to make your own Rheostat for less than $7! Detailed instructions.

you CAN plug in 2 heaters into it, but you will want to monitor both temps because not all heaters run at the same temp...so temps will not always be the same.

Glad this helped

That is a good Idea, Im going to build one of those tomorrow.. But I had an Idea, for those of you who have 2 UTHs or a UTH and a Light, all you would have to do is wire a second dimmer control to the other outlet so that you could control both devices seperately.. So basically its like 2 in one box. Im going to try it this way (I have a UTH and a Light). I dont have a camera so I cant post pics. maybe DdotSpot can back me up on this one..

You can certainly separate the two outlets on the receptacle, but you're going to be hard pressed to find room in the 2-gang box for another dimmer ;)

Make sure that if you are separating them that you remove the jumper that connects the 2 hot screws together. Usually you can just use your pliers and work it off.

Receptacle.jpg

And of course all the rewiggerin' you gotta do inside the box ;) If you need instructions on how to set that up, let me know. I've got a similar setup at home where just the top plug is hooked to the dimmer and the bottom one is constant hot(for those of you who don't know 'hot' is terminology used to indicate electricity).

Yeah you could wire it that way. I dont need any instructions I understand basic wiring. I was planning on getting a chassis box at radio shack to house the dimmers and outlets. Yeah that would be kind of crammped in the blue box.

Ok, I built the dual rheostat version.. and it works SOO Good.. I have a basting lamp on one dimmer, and the uth on another, I can adjust both temperatures cold side on one dimmer, and warm side on another, and watch the thermometers go up or down as I do, Its awsome.. Ill post a wiring diagram if anyone is interested.. Sorry I cant post pics yet, No cam.. and yes this same design will work with any 2 devices lamp/uth lamp/lamp uth/uth..

Did I read your post correctly??

Do you have a heat source on both side of an enclosure? If so, why?

No, I have a basking lamp on the same side and it is turned off, I control the temp with the uth most of the time. But they are never on at the same time.

just wanted to add my thanks to Daniel for the time he took to post all of this step by step instruction. I know the thread has been here for a bit, but I just wired my first one tonight and it went smooth as silk. Thank you SO much Daniel!

Traci1 said:
just wanted to add my thanks to Daniel for the time he took to post all of this step by step instruction. I know the thread has been here for a bit, but I just wired my first one tonight and it went smooth as silk. Thank you SO much Daniel!

cornsnakekid92 said:
yea i just wanted to say thnx ever tho it has been up sooo long, my snake will now have one!

You both are VERY welcome :D

Fantastic post!!!!

This is much better than the $6 I saved by buying my overhead light from Lowe's instead of the local pet shop.

I laughed my ass of when I saw the pic of the electrical tape bandaid. Do you guys get eh Red Green show in the states? Total scene from it! Basicly, red uses duct tape to fix everything and it was almost exactly what happens in like every episode! Anyway no doubt aboot it eh and all that Jazz up in The great white north!

If you are ever bored look up the Red Green Show and download an episode or too! Freaking funny!

For some reason I think Red Green can be seen in Michigan.. I have never seen it in Califoria..

Regrads..

DdotSpot said:
You can certainly separate the two outlets on the receptacle, but you're going to be hard pressed to find room in the 2-gang box for another dimmer ;)

Make sure that if you are separating them that you remove the jumper that connects the 2 hot screws together. Usually you can just use your pliers and work it off.

Receptacle.jpg

So you are saying run another hot to lower half of outlet. (two hot) Upper and lower after you remove the jumper. Right!

Yes, Kinda...

In my case, I have 2 rheostats connected to the same receptical. the hot wire going through one rheostat connected to the hot side on the top, and the other rheostat is connected to the hot side on the bottom.

So it separates the two, one rheostat controls the botttom and one controls the top.

If you left the jumper in there, both rheostats would control both outlets.

Lennycorn said:
So you are saying run another hot to lower half of outlet. (two hot) Upper and lower after you remove the jumper. Right!

Depending on what you wanna do, yes. I have my Rheostat hooked up to the top outlet and the other half is a regular constant hot outlet. You CAN hook up another Rheostat to the other outlet like Energi2er did, but you will need a bigger box. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been in the process of switching all my junk to a new computer.

Back