• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is my Corn Snake Male or Female?!

Ocelot

My corn snake is about 3 months old, and I got it two days ago. I know the methods of finding out what sex it is. Wouldn't I have to get a proffesional to probe it? And is the method of looking at its tale accurate? To me it looks like the body stops abruptly, then the tail starts. Doesn't that mean its female? But how can I be sure, because I'd like to name it (so I know wheter to give it a male or female name) but also later on for breeding. Thanks.

The most accurate way to sex a cornsnake is by popping or probing. Popping is done when they are younger (you might be able to still pop the 3 month old you have). If you have no experience doing either of these methods, go to someone experienced to have it done. You can severely damage your new corn if you do not know what you're doing. The tail sexing method is normally inaccurate.

Just to add, I've been down to the reptile shop today and went through this with the owner.
As said this method is inaccurate but :-
After the vent the males body carries on further then the females before the tail starts.
I couldn't work it out until the store owner showed me a male and a female together. This additional body after the vent can vary in both males and females i.e. there isnt a set quantity of scales which will determine it for you.
So basically unless your snake has an exceptionaly long or short body after the vent you will not be able to use this method.

btw my pet shop has offered to sex my snake for me but tbh they arn't man handling my baby untill she is at least an adult. (I refer to my snake as she due to my visual assumption, I hate calling her IT !)

As you can see my daughter called her Sizzles, a nice unisex name (far safer)

So what will I do? Just call "it" it until it is older? Or should I get a vet or something to sex it? Like do you call your snake a name?

I wondered the same thing when I got my corn on the 4th of july. But, i most likely wont be breeding (not certain) so I decided to call her Nagini. It is a female name and I'm happy with that. My suggestion: just choose, I dont know what popping is, but just choose a name and a gender. Worst case senario, it is the opposite of what you thought and maybe the name wont sound too weird, but maybe you can change it after. But it is your snake. Post if you decide.

When I got my first two baby corns, they were unsexed and so I called them Gerald and Henry, so they could be Geraldine and Henrietta if they were female! As it turns out Gerald is male and Henrietta is female, and the two of them have now produced eggs which are due to hatch late this month! :)

I have a male snake named Sharon and I don't care who knows it! LOL, I also have a female dog named Jack but that's a whole other story. :laugh:

Back