• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sound vibrations

Kilojara16

Reptile Cartoonist
I know cornsnakes can't "hear", but they can surely feel the vibrations from the soundwaves. Do some waves upset them like a loud stereo with mega bass or a musical instrument like a trumpet? I don't have a corn, but I would be nice to know for future reference.

Well I'm sure they notice it but I don't think it would cause any harm. I recently moved my corn into the room with my piano and I play a few hours a day but he doesn't seem to mind...We also have a big stereo system and a tv in that room but he usually just stays holed up in his hide.
As long as the vibrations don't go on for hours and hours and hours on end, a snake should be fine.
Are you planning to get a corn soon? I finally got one last December after months of begging and pleading to my parents..mainly my mom...
Now they see that a snake isn't so bad and my dad thinks it's cool to see him eat. lol he's such a kid

Nice to here a familiar story.

Hey! I'm having trouble getting my mom to agree just like you. I'm still trying to convince her that cornsnakes aren't bad at all, but she's so stubborn. My dad is no problem, but my mom the boss of the household.

Well hopefully she will come around soon. My mom is also the boss..in my house. She's ok with Xavier (my snake) as long as I don't bring him near her or anything. (But I still do sometimes for fun..she hates it lol) She really doesn't like the fact that I keep mice in the freezer but I convinced her that 2 layers of plastic bags and a tupperware container is enough to prevent any "germs" from contaminating the rest of the food in the freezer.
She's just happy that the snake doesn't make a big mess. I have a bird who scatters seed husks and poop all over the place so compared to him, Xavier seems mighty neat. Of course she's never had to clean out his poop or even smell it for that matter.
The way I got her to agree is by acting pretty much perfectly for 2 months. I did all my homework, did great on tests, watched almost zero tv, kept my room clean, practiced lots of piano, woke up early on weekends, washed dishes, folded laundry, etc. And I promised to pay for anything snake-related (the snake itself, mice, tank, vet bills, heating pad, substrate, etc.) with my own money. See if something like that might tempt your mom. I think the part that really won her over is the "I'll do the laundry and dishes for 2 months." :)

Convincing a stubborn mom...

One thing that worked for me most of the time was to write a letter to my mom (also the mega boss), where I would tell her about how much I wanted something, the things that were involved in owning it, how I would be responsible about it and how it would affect her life (I made sure to list all pros and cons from her perspective, so I would show I had done my research and took into account her feelings (important in negotiations with mom)). Writing a letter guaranteed that she would read it, otherwise she didn't hear me out, and would slam down the idea on my first few words.

This is what I would suggest you do: since you have your dad's approval, enlist his help to write the letter. Be sure the letter is well written with no grammar or spelling mistakes (have friends, teachers and/or your dad proof read it). She must have told you why she doesn't want you to have a snake, so you can explain the reasons that would appease her reluctance. Verify with your dad that you have gotten all her reasons right, and that your counterarguments would be effective. You might also have to work at it to lay down the basis for your arguments before you write the letter. For example, if she doesn't let you have a corn because your grades or behavior aren't to her satisfaction, you would have to work hard at being a model student before you even mention anything about snakes, and to prove yourself can take a few months. However, if your mom is simply afraid of snakes and would otherwise let you have one, then you must reassure her in your letter that the snake is not going to escape and how you can guarantee that, etc., and how this would be an innocuous opportunity for her to overcome her fears. If it's the financial aspect that stops her, then present her with a plan on how much it would cost and how you'll finance it (you might have to take a summer job to prove it to her).

Tell us about her arguments against you having a corn (be honest) and we can help you come up with solutions.

All this being said, your mom might still say no, and you might still have to wait a while before getting your corn.

Regarding noise...

They might not be able to "hear" anything but the vibrations, but H and S do have a thing for Dvorak. And also U2. There's just no accounting for taste, lemme tell 'ya.

;)

Cheers,
TS

I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to.
-- Elvis Presley

About my mom problem

An interesting thing happened yesterday. When I was looking through the forum, my mom walks in and asks, "Aren't those the nice snakes?" I replied, "Of course, they are the most captive bred species because of their friendly and docile nature." The fact that my mom seemed interested in the snake was surprising to me. I think she is willing to learn about them. Fear is only caused by the unknown and if my mom learns more I think she open up to the idea.:)

Well sounds like it's not an entirely hopeless situation then! My mom still says,"Get that disgusting thing away from me," or something of the sort, lol. Patience is the key I guess and since she seems like she wants to learn more about them...well that's definitely a plus. Good luck convincing her

sure fire way

My mom is also the boss of my house. She said she didnt mind them but not in our house. she wouldnt even let me talk about snakes. So i brought her to a pet shop and let my mom see a hatchling. I let her talk to the owner who was very informative. Then my mom talked to me about it. I researched them for months so every con she said i had an answer to. just a suggestion

From a moms' point of view

I was afraid of snakes too. but I had promised my son, so I started researching them. The more I learned the less afraid adn more interested I became. Now I want a snake too! And I'm very excited about his!!
I think that fear is the biggest factor in Moms' saying No. So Give her some info. on them. There were 2 big things I found that made me feel better.......
1) Snakes do very well feeding on prekilled FROZEN mice!
2)They are not slimy!
Last I (like most people) do not like to be scared!! The first time we went to the pet shop, McCain,put the snake right up in my face and I jumped back!! The guy there explained to him that with so many people having fears about snakes you must use your snake as an embassador. Let her know that you will respect her fears.

:D Hope this helps

Re: Nice to hear a familiar story.

Kilojara16 said:
Hey! I'm having trouble getting my mom to agree just like you. I'm still trying to convince her that cornsnakes aren't bad at all, but she's so stubborn. My dad is no problem, but my mom the boss of the household.

I just thought you guys and girls would like to know that all moms are not against snakes! My 12 year old daughter and I have 5 snakes...3 corns and 2 kings. I am just as crazy about them as my daughter is. It's my husband that is not a big snake lover...but at least he lets us have them! :D ;) :D

Last edited:
I just keep bugging my mom till she says yet :D :D Usually takes about a week. She doesn't really like the corn or the kingsnake because they are so small, they remind her of worms, but she has gotten used to the python becuase I've had him for so long, she still doesn't like it but she has pet it once or twice(maybe tapped is a better word), and she has pet or tapped the boa as well just to see how much smoother it was than the python.

2 years ago my mother had swore "on her fathers grave"(heehee her fathers still alive) that we would never get a snake. then i took her to a pet shop with 3 hatchling anerys and 1 tiny little amel female and she flipped. it was luv at first site. just show parents how tiny they r when theyre young and then show them how relavtively small they r as adults.:)

Back