View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I've got males here that have been on hunger strike for a month or two, though- it's that time of the year. None of them did it last year, but this year they are crazy!
This is only my second spring having corn snakes, last year I only had one female (Scarlett) and she was just over a year old and did nothing out of the ordinary.

This spring I had a total of 6 in the house, 2 females and 4 males, all of them went on hunger strikes, odd behavior, and being a newbie I had no idea. The males have all chilled out, but both females laid eggs. I never expected that to happen, and unfortunately I figured it out too late with my older girl, by the time I made the lay box and put her in it, she was already almost emaciated. She laid 12 tiny eggs yesterday, crawled out of the box and died. The eggs were so tiny, I felt for them to see if she was gravid but they were too small for me to detect. The largest one was no more than the size of a marble.

So thank you, Nanci, I am glad it isn't just me, everyone is having odd behavior and it makes me feel better to know that someone with your experience is having the same reactions with their snakes, that it isn't something I did wrong.