View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #44
Twolunger
Well, I continued experimenting with the introduction of my oldest male to 4 females that were separated for 8 weeks. I wanted them to mature a little since they were the smallest of the rats I bought. No females attacked the male but they did move away from him when he tried being social. That only lasted for 3 days, and he managed to cuddle with the females. However, one of the females refused his sexual advances and nipped at him if he tried breeding with her. I took her out and the 1.3 colony is off to a good start.

One of the things that I wanted to do was to have the females bred by the male so that all the females gave birth about the same time. Otherwise you will have 2 week old+ babies and then another litter of day olds. The new babies may not be fed enough to grow.

I found out one more thing while raising the rats. Despite their African origins, they do not like hot humid weather. When I have them out in my screened lanai and the temps reach 90F they start looking distressed and the mothers don't want to nurse. Back in the 80 degree air conditioning and they perk right up again.