View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #40
Twolunger
The ones I moved were about 5 months old. The only thing I did differently was put the colony in a clean container with fresh bedding. But when I combined them there were no babies. If babies are present you may have a fight.

Those temps are way too low for ASF. My son had colonies of Norway rats, ASF's, and mice and he had a space heater to keep the temps up to at least 76 during the winter.
I put my colonies out in the lanai when the temps were 72 and some of the females looked like they were shivering

I use Sophresh odor control crumbled paper on one side of their container, sprinkled with baking soda. The remainder is aspen shavings. I tried the small box in the corner and they pulled out the bedding and the colony sat in it before chewing it up. I tried putting down a layer of folded paper towels with Sophresh covering it. They had a field day pulling the paper towels up and shredding them. I bought a small flat scoop which I use to remove the Sophresh and then add more. That usually last a day or two before I must clean the whole container again. Once a container is clean I spray it with Healthy Habitat odor control.

I may try the cat litter but suspect the rats will try to eat the stuff.